Sarah

My tears wouldn't stop dropping. 

The bell rang and I was headed over to my locker. I avoided eye contact with everyone. You could tell everyone was staring, but in my mind I just wanted to get out of this stupid prison.

I got to my locker and opened it. The pictures of me and my dad hung there. Along with my pictures with Jeff and Jack. My heart sank and my tears were running. I looked all the way to the bottom. I grabbed the last picture and looked at it.

It was a picture of me and Jack. We had on graduation caps and gowns. We were hugging. My dad was standing on the side smiling at us, while Jeff was taking the picture.

"They both didn't make it to graduation." I whispered to myself trying to breath. "Like they promised."

I stuck the picture back on my locker but this time closer to the top.

I wiped my tears. Maybe I should at least try to text Jack one more time. I reached into my pocket. It was empty. I kept looking everywhere.

Shoot

I closed my locker and went back to all of my classes. Nothing.

I walked back to my locker, still avoiding eye contact and checked again.

"Sarah!" A voice called.

It was James.

He handed me my phone.

"You left it in Math." He said.

"Thanks James." I said softly.

"I'm sorry about-"

"It's fine."

I looked back in the locker trying not to cry again.

"Hey please don't cry." He said.

"Why do you even care?"

"Because I hate seeing people cry."

"Whatever."

"Hey." He said. "How bout we go get some ice cream at Baskin Robbins. My treat."

"That's really nice but-"

"No." He said cutting me off.

"No what?" I asked.

"I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Um."

"C'mon." He said. "You can go home right after."

"I'm sorry James." I said. "I just really wanna go home."

"Why though?"

"James. Who the hell goes and eats ice cream and has fun right after their dad dies?"

He looked down.

"I'm sorry." I said. "Maybe next time."

I grabbed my stuff and walked away. I was about to reach my car when someone called my name. I turned around. It was Faith.

"Wait please!" She said.

"Faith I have to go." I replied.

I stood there waiting for her to get her high heeled self there.

"What do you want?"

"I wanted to say goodbye." She said.

"Wait why?"

"I'm moving."

"Oh. To where?"

"I have no clue." She said. "My dad is making it a surprise for me and my little obnoxious brother."

"I wonder where he got it from." I mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Oh nothing."

She nodded her head.

"Well, I hope you like your new school, for however long you'll have in there."

"Yeah." She said.

I smiled and turned around to start walking to my car.

"Wait one last thing." She called.

Ugh what is it now.

I turned back around.

"I'm sorry for everything I've done to you and Jack. It was wrong and I'm sorry. It was wrong to treat you both in that type of way."

I ran back and gave her a hug.

"It's okay." I said. "We had already forgiven you a whole long time ago."

"Sarah?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me something."

"Okay."

"Promise me that you won't give up on Jack."

"Wait why?" And of course I won't."

"Because I know for sure he's still trying for you."

"Okay."

She smiled and walked back into the school building to go say goodbye to everyone else.

I got into the car and drove home. I walked inside and sat on the couch. I looked around. All the pictures, all the memories, everything reminded me of all of them.

I walked over to the back and put the money that was in my bag back on the counter.

I grabbed out a bowl to get myself some ice cream. I opened up the freezer. A note was left on the ice cream.

I got you your favorite ice cream sweety. There's some more in in the back of the freezer if you ever run out. Love you! Ill be back, I promise.
Love, Dad.

Tears came rushing down my cheeks and I didn't have a reason to stop them now.

"I'll be back, I promise." The words rang in the back of my head.

I grabbed out the ice cream and scooped me some.

I put back the ice cream and walked to the front. I sat down and grabbed my phone. I opened it.

4 messages from Faith. 10 messages from James. 2 messages from Gabe. And it went on and on and on, but none of them were Jack.

I opened all the messages. All of them just said "I'm sorry for your loss." Except for James. His was about how he's sorry for after school blah blah blah. Either way, I left all of them on seen. I put down my phone and continued to eat my ice cream. Making sure my tears didn't drop into the bowl.

~knock knock~

Why can't people except the fact that I want to be left alone.

I put down my bowl and got up to open it.

I opened it.

All these news reporters we're standing outside of my house and people were taking all of these pictures.

They asked so many questions that I didn't want to answer. So, I just turned back around and closed the door.

I sat back down on the couch and just poked my spoon at the ice cream. Soon all the noise from outside died down and I was left with the silence I wasn't used to when I get home.

I sat there for a couple of minutes before deciding to eat the rest of my ice cream.

I then got up and walked upstairs and into my room. I lied down in the bed. I stared at the wall. All of the pictures hung there. I got up and grabbed a random one from off the wall. I looked at it.

It was a picture of me, Jack, Jeff, and my dad after me and Jack's 9th grade promotion. We got the same awards and the same metals. Jack is smart. People just took him for granted.

I lied back down on the bed and cried myself to sleep.