Chapter 46

Only about five more chapters to go

There's only one Hell, the one we live in now.

*NARRATOR'S POV*

"Marry me."

Louis is crying but he's suffering in his task to restrain the tears. He chokes on a sob through his smile and throws himself into Harry's expectant arms. The cupcake box is extended out to the side so Louis doesn't drop it and Harry's face is buried in Louis' neck when the boy gets close enough.

He manages to free the ring before dropping the bakery box and wrapping his arms all the way around Louis, holding him close and inhaling deeply now that his nerves are calm. Louis hoists himself up and settles his thighs on Harry's love handles.

"You haven't answered me." Harry chuckles and braces his arms around Louis' squirming form.

He pulled the ring to the forefront of their attention, and Louis' daintier hand folded over Harry's palm to conceal the item of personal jewellery. "No."

And well, Harry sputters for the first time in his life. "Wha- Lou?"

"You said we'd never get married." Louis took the ring anyway with a swollen heart and examines the carved gold. "I'm sticking by that."

"That's....That's ridiculous, baby. I-"

"Haz." Louis slipped the ring into Harry's jacket breast pocket and secured both sides of his face. "We really don't need a court and ceremony to tell us anything. I'll wear your ring. We'll share a home and a baby, but I won't 'walk down the isle', so to speak."

Harry deflates. He can be honest to himself and say he did not have an alternate plan should the evening go this way. "Is it because of me?"

"You?" Louis blinks, genuinely confused.

He gets a shrugging response that makes Louis pout and lean forward to kiss Harry's cheek.

"If you're talking about your hand-" Louis pointedly starts. "-you should know that I'm offended you'd think I'm that shallow."

Harry's frown evolves smoothly into a smirk that tilts to the side and creates a small crater in his cheek.

"I'd love you if you didn't have the whole hand, Haz." Louis jumps down to his own swaying feet.

"I'm offended because you said no to my intricately planned marriage proposal."

"While you are the finest suitor-" Louis goes to pick up Bean from where she's playing with Grey. "-this young lady is my top priority and other love of my life."

Harry extracts the ring from his pocket and Livvy's eyes catch it as it reflects some light from what is above them. "So you're really telling me no?"

Louis chews his lip and positions Bean to rest on his shoulder, her heavy head on it and her arms around his neck. "What made you change your mind from when you said you didn't want us to get married?"

"I'd like for both you and Olivia to be mine." Harry rubs his baby's back with a firm, reassuring hand. "In your hearts. In a court of law. In society."

"We are yours." Louis promises. "Any time of any day, we belong to each other. As much as you want me to have your name, I can't give up mine."

"We can be married and you'll stay Tomlinson, or at least hyphenate our names."