6.

"Hell it's hot here... "I said over a glass of water at the break room. It was the second week of our cooperation.
"It's not morgue, Speed" Courtney chuckled "it's Miami heat;) thank god it's air conditioned! I've heard you're a born New Yorker is that correct?"
"Yep. However I don't miss Queens. Do you?"
"...h..how do you know?" She looked at me surprised
"Alexx" I said shortly. " I've also heard we've got the same Alma Mater".
"Yep. I knew that actually."
"How come?"
"I was a freshman when you came after a gap year to finish your studies."
"Oh...really?"
"Yep. "
"How old were you then?"
"Eighteen or early nineteen. You were 25, 26?"
"Something like that" I murmured. I suddenly felt like under the siege.
"How come you remember me?"
"My brother was your age".
"Really?"
"Yeah. He finished on time. Biology. And you were famous those days."
"Why?"
"You know" she looked embarassed "because of your sudden disappearance. And your friend's death."
I felt nauseous. Gonna be sick if she doesn't stop.
"Don't wanna talk about it. "
"I know. I just wanted to say that although my bro thought you were a complete nerd, he admired you. He shared some classes with you and was amazed."
"Thanks. I don't remember much of the last year there. I wanted to graduate as soon as possible so"
"....so you did it in 7 months..."
"Yeah."
"Impressive "
"So what" I got angry " now I'm completely useless."
"Not true. Just a bit out of order. We'll fix it soon. Last question, may I?"
"Last. Shoot".
"Were you really drunk at the qraduates' ball?" I smiled.
"Yep. I was. Not proud of it though."
"Why?"
"Why not proud?"
"Why drunk."
"I couldn't face it sober. I finished with honours. There was a good job waiting for me in Miami. My parents left me alone at last and I was to make a speech to the graduates. What was I supposed to say? It's the happiest day of our lives? Greet our proud parents ? Shit!!! David was in his grave rotting, and he was supposed to stand next to me. My parents weren't even there.
So yeah, I got drunk, and my friend Eve said few words instead of me not to make any sensation. That's all."
"Ok. Sorry."
"No worries. I answered and that's it. Don't go back there ok?"
"Sure."
"How come you're in Miami?"
"Well, I transferred here"
"Because of the heat?" I smiled
"No, for a man." She frowned
"Oh...love of your life?"
"Not exactly but I was back then stupid and in love. So I did it. "
"Are you still with the guy?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"It's rather personal question don't you think?"
"I do. So was yours."
"Ok. You won. No. We're not together. He left me...."
"Oh...Sorry."
"....with a bullet in my stomach. Bleeding all over. The only good thing about it was he called the ambulance. I'm still here."
"Geez...what a weirdo...why?"
"That's another personal question..."
"Ok. If you don't want to, I won't push..."
"No. I'll tell you. But You'll answer one more too."
"Fair enough. "
"I went for a beer with a friend of mine. Sitting in the bar, lots of people, drinking and talking that's all. He called me a bitch and took me home. Then he shot me twice and left. "
"Fuck... How bad was it? "
"Bad. 2 months in hospital in New York, at my brother's ward. He's a surgeon. Good one. And here I am back to life. Alive and kicking. Now my turn."
"Shoot."
"Where were you?"
"Meaning? I don't understand"
"While this year you missed."
I hung my head low. Then I said.
"I don't remember much. I was travelling here and there and everywhere. Trying to forget."
"Did you manage to forget?"
"Drugs and alcohol really help."
"Really????you a junkie ???"
"Yeah. It's a miracle I didn't catch any awful disease then. I remembered about David's uncle in Miami. He made me stop. Cared for me and fed me. I was in a disastrous state then. Skinny and suicidal. He took me to [ lab every day. So I stayed. Megan Donner made me get my degree. That's all."
"Wow. A nice guy. "
"Yeah. He's already dead "
"Oh."
"End of questions. Let's get to work. "
"Yes."
We took the cases and left for a crime scene.This time it was a floatie. ALWAYS hated them- didn't like the smell. Difficult to recover any trace. I was watching her with amazement- she was working fast, very fast. And with no mask.
"It's necessary to wear a mask lady" I told her. "You can get something very nasty here"
"I know. I'm afraid of covering my face"
"Really?" I laughed
"Yeah. Let's get back."
We processed all the evidence in two hours.
"Well...few more weeks and you won't need me at all" she laughed
"Not true. Still need you."
She looked surprised "what??"
"Let's go out tonight. "I said quietly.
"What for? " She asked
"I'll take you somewhere special ok? "
"But..."
"Oh, come on...I'm not dangerous.
"I know, I just...don't feel like going out... with..."
"...me." I got angry "I get it."
I turned around not to show her how hard it was for me to ask her out, and how disappointed I am right now.
"...a man. " She whispered. Hung her head and sat on the chair.
"Courtney... " I knelt on front of her..."I won't hurt you. It's just a dinner or a glass of wine if you prefer. I want to thank you for these two weeks. But I won't press on you. Just say the word."
"I really want to go Speed. I'm just a bit ...scared. "
"Of me?"
"No... But one never knows".
"I know I can't hurt you. I don't even wear the gun.."
"Ok. Can it be pizza?"
"Sure. I can get you at 8."
"I'll come by myself."
"Ok. So let's meet outside the Italian restaurant."
When the shift was over I fell on the bed and got to sleep at once.
Befote that I set the alarm clock at 6 pm