18.

"Your brother???!? Tim! Slow down!!"
I stood to wait for her but then continued my pace.
"Yeah. You knew I have one"
"Yeah, but never saw him. He wasn't at the funeral"
"I suppose so."
"What now?"
"Nothing. Let's take the documents back, and book a flight"
"You won't talk to him? Tim!!! Do you inderstand what kinda shock it must be?"
"No. He didn't want to see me for so long. And I told him he's mistaken."
"Oh.. Your decision".
"Yeah. You're right. My decision. Now skip it. "
When we finally booked the flights there were still three more hours to go. I didn't want Cal to talk about my brother.
We went to a small pub behind the corner next to  LaGuardia called Art's. I ordered a glass of wine for her and beer for myself.
"I don't wanna talk about it Cal. Don't even start".
"Ok. As you wish. I only want to tell you that he's probably gonna tell your parents"
We sat there and I was sipping my beer in silence.
"What will you do now?"
"What do you mean?"
"Will you tell them? Phone them?"
"No".
"Why?"
"Cal, lose it."
"Tim... They have the right to know..."
"Stop it!!!!!" I shouted.
All the guys sitting here looked at me and there was silence. Then one of them approached us and said 'Ma'am, is this guy bothering you?'
"No "she smiled "we just exchange arguments. "
He left watching me closely. I felt ashamed realizing they take me as an agressor.
"Let's go, Tim. You need to calm down a bit. The cool air is the best for it, and the topic's closed as far as I'm concerned.."
"Thank you. And I apologize for that."
We took the bags and waited for boarding. I decided to call Courtney.
"Hi Court, how are you?"
"Speed! Why didn't you call?"
"There was so much to do...when we come back I'll tell you everything. We got him, Court. He probably abused his wife-that what it looks like. We can nail him for that too..."
"Really?"
"Yeah. He probably made her miscarry a baby, too"
"Oh... " I heard her sigh
"What does an 'Oh' mean?"
"Well, he told me once that he doesn't want any babies in his life, and won't let any stupid doll to make him a father."
"And?"
"It wasn't my concern then, so I skipped it. You seem to be in a strange mood though".
"I'm tired ,Court. Wanna be home. Don't like NYC too much. Are you someplace safe?"
"I'm at work. And I'm not afraid, Tim. Not anymore. He won't make me feel haunted again".
"I won't let him, Court. I promise."
"I know. See you soon".
"Yeah. You too"
While the flight Cal stayed silent. I felt bad I jumped at her like that.
"Cal... I'm sorry"
"Don't bother Tim. I shouldn't be the person to give you advice. I'm the last one. You didn't criticize me when it came to my family".
"Yeah. But I still feel bad".
She turned to me. Put her hand on my cheek.
"Tim. I'm on your side. Always. Remember that."
I looked at her and felt weird.
"I know" I hugged her. And I'm sorry for.."
"Not loving me. I'm ok now. I told you."
"Yeah. Thank you. For being my friend."
Then I fell asleep a bit and woke up just before the landing.
Delko was waiting for us outside the airport.
"Well, well, well... I heard you did good."
"We hope. Let's check it."
"There's also something we found out"
"Yeah? What's that?"
"He got to know about your and Alexx' body examination... And pressed charges against you."
"Shit!! "
"What??? " Said Cal
"Yeah. H. tries to protect you but man's angry with you Speed. You made him mad."
"How the hell does he know,huh?"
"He's probably observing you. We think Courtney should stay at the station in the back room. For a couple of days. She's not safe in your house. "
"So isn't he" whispered Cal
"Exactly. Let's take it all back to the station and try to nail the guy".
"I'm going home first Eric. I need to change my clothes."
"It's not a good idea"
"I need to. I'm not a child to babysit me" I barked.
"Ok Ok... As you want."
We were driving in silence. When we stopped outside my flat I told them to go. They were clearly annoyed.
I entered my dusty flat and sat on the sofa. Why the hell did that happen?Why did I enter that damn cafe... I really hope Harry won't tell them about me. I want my life back, without them.
I went to drink some water when someone knocked at the door.
"Shit. I told you to go without me Delko "! I shouted aloud opening the door.
There was Andrew Martins and he punched me so fast I didn't even have time to react. I fell down , my eye exploding with pain." What the hell are yo..."
"...shut up and listen. I will say it only once, you fuck. I don't want that stupid bitch back in my head, nor you. I closed that part of my life.  But if you mess up with me or start digging deep, I'll have to take care of you two. This time I won't call the ambulance for her, believe me. I left my conscience far behind me"
I was still on the floor barely conscious. This guy knew well how to hit to hurt somebody. If he knocked me down with one hit, what would he do to Courtney?
"...hear me, asshole ?" He shook my head
"Yeah.. "
"I hope so. Whenever you decide to charge me, expect me at your door. And hers. "
"You're sick. You, being a cop, is a disgrace for all of us. You.."
"That's for being rude" I felt the pain once again. Shit.
When I heard the door shut I looked around for my phone.
"Delko?"
"Speed?Where are you? We're waiting here."
"Come here. Now."
"Well..."
"..alone, Delko. Alone. Promise me."
"But..."
"Eric, please. Now. And let yourself in."
"Be right there. " He hung up.
I couldn't move.