Chapter Twenty-Nine

I took a few steps back, fear gripping me as Black continued to look at me. No, he's not Black. He's Stephen, I reminded myself as I narrowed my eyes at him. I knew deep down though, he would always be Black to me. His past didn't matter. He looked up again at the picture before the smile on his face broadened.

"How do you like my collection? I tried to get as many as I could."

"You're missing a few years," I spat out, hoping the venom in my voice would help show my disgust. It didn't. Black smiled again as he lowered his eyes to me.

"I couldn't find you for two years. You had suddenly gone off the grid, almost as if you had never existed. But, it would seem those two years are no longer important." Black stood up and started walking towards me. I bolted out the door, but to my astonishment, Black allowed me to run past him. I screeched to a stop outside of the door as my feet changed directions to head down the stairs. I didn't want to be here anymore. I would go to Garrison, and we would finish our business there. As I ran down the hallway, something jumped up and snagged my ankle. I went crashing to the floor, and as I lifted my head, I was suddenly being dragged back. I screamed as pain bit my ankle, and also out of fear as I was being dragged back into Black's room. I finally turned myself over to see a wire etched with thorns had caught my ankle. I looked up to see Drake with a savage smile on his face. He was resting his head in his hand as he was squatted on the unused desk, holding the wire in his hand.

"Uh, uh, uh, bunny," he cooed, and my blood froze at his tone. He slowly stood up, hopped off the desk and undid the wire wrapped around my ankle. He grabbed my chin and brought his lips to my ear. "You wanted to dig, so now you have to deal with what you have unveiled. Don't worry; I won't let him hurt you." My eyes widened as he snickered, standing up to guard the door. I stared at him for a moment, before getting to my feet. I was left with no other choice. I walked back into the room to see Black standing where I was, looking up at the picture. He turned his head slightly to me, and I saw his arrogant grin.

"It's been awhile since Drake and I were both this excited," he said, his tone even. "I would hate for you to ruin it now."

"So," I started, crossing my arms, "what happens now?"

"Well, seeing as you have seen my secret, it wouldn't be wise to have you running about." Black paused and studied my expression. When I didn't react, his dark smile returned. "Because it would seem you understand exactly why you are here now. Did my little Jessica remember?"

"I remember pieces," I growled, narrowing my eyes. "You are a horrible person."

"Not me," said Black with a chuckle. "My father."

"I've heard it both ways," I snapped. "You didn't have to follow in suit. But then again, you were always a dog waiting for a treat when it came to your father." I heard Drake snicker outside, and Black's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Perhaps, a little refresher then," said Black as his tone lowered even further. I felt the temperature drop, and I shuddered at what could possibly happen. Black leaned against the wall as he stared at me. "Your mother worked for my father."

"And that's how I was introduced to your diluted world," I snarled. Black ignored my comment.

"Your mother worked as a secretary under my father. When she discovered what he was actually doing, she took vital information and some documents, and fled, dragging you along with her."

"The underground businesses you mean," I said and Black flashed a toothy grin.

"So you have been digging. Drake wasn't lying. I had a feeling you were getting in way over your head, but I suppose this proves my case." I said nothing. I silently cursed Drake. It occurred to me he had set this up to where Black would catch me red-handed. Black chuckled and cleared his throat as he continued. "Yes, your mother knew about the underground businesses. She knew who my family was. Little did I expect she handed you off to another family while we hunted her. Finally, my father developed a case against her for the abuse of her only daughter. When CPS tracked her down, she was arrested. However, she never showed for trial. She escaped, and I have a hunch on who helped her escape. That's when she exited your life; permanently."