Chapter Thirty-Seven

My hand was numb due to Black's grip. He led us through the crowded areas in the airport, easily and skillfully weaving in and out of people. However, my eyes held determination in them. I had to get away; Black wasn't going to take me so easily. I'd make him pay, and pay dearly for taking my mom's life. We stopped at the security check, and Black held a warning within his eyes as he released me to walk through. I obeyed, and completed the security check without an incident. Black caught up to me soon after, and I wondered how he was able to get through with the gun. No doubt he knew how to fool the cameras and hid the gun somewhere in his bag. I am sure he had done it countless times before.  We sat in the waiting area, and my stomach beginning to tighten with uneasiness. I watched as Black scanned the area, like he was looking for something. He's watching for my dad, I thought as my muscles tightened up.

"Can I get something to eat?" I asked and Black's attention was drawn to me.

"When we get on the plane," he answered and I huffed irritably. Black continued to look at me, and suddenly, my stomach growled. The timing couldn't have been any better if I had planned it. I saw a small smile touch the corner of Black's lips and I shot him a glare.

"Can I get a snack?" I asked in a sarcastic tone and Black laughed quietly.

"I will grab you one. If you so much as move a muscle—"

"I won't move from my seat," I reassured him. Black eyed me for a moment, and then got up. I watched him as he headed over to a vending machine, and then I began to dig through his bag. I had to find his gun. As I rummaged, my hand hit a smooth wooden box. I quickly opened it and found pens, paperclips, push-pins, and other office materials. I knew better, so I felt along the edges until I felt a small dip. I lifted it up, and I saw the small, silvery pistol lying underneath. I grabbed it and slid it under my shirt, placing it evenly in my pants so it didn't bulge. I replaced his box and zipped up the bag, then leaned back and acted like I was people watching. Black returned and handed me a bag of chips and a bag of cookies. I accepted them without a word, and watched as Black resumed his scanning, keeping his eyes out for my father. I glanced up at the clock as I munched on my chips. Our plane was supposed to leave in an hour and a half, so my father would be showing up pretty soon. I quickly inhaled the chips and cookies, and then pretended to people watch again. My eyes were on the clock, watching the seconds tick by. Thirty minutes had passed, and neither Black nor I had moved a muscle. Finally, knowing it was time, I stood up. Black's hand shot out and grabbed hold of my wrist, and I jumped at this before narrowing my eyes at him.

"What?" I snapped.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"To the bathroom. Unfortunately, you can't follow me in there."

"No, but I can wait for you to come out." Black stood up, and followed me to the bathroom. We passed a small eating area and a souvenir shop, and I smiled as I thought of the perfect escape plan. Black waited by a row of seats across from the restroom as I left. I entered in and patiently waited for someone else to walk in. I waited about three minutes before an elderly lady walked in.

"Excuse me," I said sheepishly and the old woman stopped to look at me. "My, um, boyfriend is out there and it's his birthday tomorrow. However, he doesn't like to let me out of his sight in such a crowded place. Do you think you can distract him for two minutes while I run to the souvenir shop next door to get him something?" She smiled sweetly at me.

"Ah, young love," she said with a dreamy look in her eyes. I fought hard to keep the disgust from showing on my face. "My dear, I did the same for my husband when I was your age. Snuck around to get him stuff, I did."

"That's very sweet of you," I said, knowing Black would be getting impatient by now. "Two minutes is all I require. If I'm not back by then, then you can leave."