Twenty Three | A Queen's Anguish

Her hazel eyes remained wide with shock as she read over the words written on the piece of partchment. The grip she held the piece of parchment became tight to the point where it began to wrinkle. Words couldn't describe what she felt once she registered the ill news brought to her from Amelia Ainsworth.

Fabian Starke, a fugitive from Johto, was killed by the hands of Mark Desai, one of Elliot Belray's trusted knights who was sent on that mission. The Queen would've been relieved to know that there was one less fugitive to terrorize her nation had she not found out Mark lost his life during that confrontation. It was bad enough that Johto's acting leader was pressuring Kanto to join forces with them and go to war against Hoenn. She thought she didn't know which side to stand by, but after this, she now knew that Johto wasn't to be trusted.

First, they ignore the contract that bonded them as allies with Kanto and Hoenn. Then, their fugitives made their way onto her territory and caused trouble for her civilians. And finally, they may have done something to the previous king of Kanto. She was very well suspicious that someone or a group of people may have been involved in her husband's murder five years ago. If only she had more evidence to back up her claim.

The sound of footsteps entering the large throne room echoed, causing Queen Rin to look over toward the direction they came from. She felt her guilt rise when she found Father Malcolm making his way toward her with an innocent smile on his lips. How was she going to tell him of the loss of his grandson's knight?

"Your Highness, I'm so happy that you've summoned me." He chuckled. "How may I be of assistance to you?"

"Actually, there is something I must inform you of." She looked down at the parchment in her hand. "Something grave has occurred in Nebesa Town. Lady Ainsworth has informed me of it as well."

Father Malcolm's smile dropped into a frown upon hearing the Queen's hesitant voice.

"My, it certainly sounds serious. What could have happened, Your Highness?" he asked.

"Fabian Starke, one of the most wanted fugitives from Johto, was killed at Lady Ainsworth's Aether Day Ball," she informed him. The Priest appeared rather confused.

"I'm afraid I do not understand. Shouldn't this be good news?" he wondered. Queen Rin shook her head.

"Mark Desai lost his life in order to take down Fabian Starke." She looked at the Priest with sad eyes. "You're grandson's best knight died that night."

The throne room was suddenly filled with heavy silence once the Queen informed Father Malcolm of the grave news. He was well aware of Mark's past life as a contract thief, but he also knew how close he and Elliot were. The thing he admired about his grandson was his ability to believe that people could change. Elliot admired Mark for doing just that and becoming a powerful knight who'd give up his life for his nation.

How would Elliot react when he received news of Mark's death? What would he do?

"Lady Ainsworth arranged a funeral for Mark Desai," Queen Rin mentioned, catching Father Malcolm's attention. "It was held a few days after the incident."

"I'd have to thank her for that kind gesture." Father Malcolm chuckled humorlessly. "Oh, how will Elliot handle this?"

"I apologize for this loss." The Queen looked away. "It's my fault those Johto fugitives are here in the first place."

"Please, Your Highness, it's no one's fault Mark died. It's just unfortunate this happened," Father Malcolm said. However, it still didn't make her feel any less guilty.

Those fugitives were here to get revenge. They had to be. She read up on old documents from when her husband was still alive. He had decided to ignore an alliance with Johto to go to war with the Orre region. It was one of their worse crisis, but she knew why her husband made that decision.

He didn't want his nation to get involved with their problems.

This could also be the main motive as to why her husband was assassinated in the first place. That was why she suspected those fugitives were back on Kanto territory again. They wanted revenge for her husband's decision of turning them down.

"I think we should go and tell Elliot of this unfortunate news." Father Malcolm looked at her. "Will you accompany me, Your Highness?"

"Of course."

With that, they both left the throne room and had someone prepare a carriage for them to go to Indigo Palace.

• • •

The whole ride there felt like it took longer than usual. Queen Rin's guilt rose the closer they got to Elliot's mansion. She prepared herself for what he may respond with, whether it was denial, anger, or complete mourning.

The carriage came to a stop, making the Queen sigh with relief. Some of Elliot's knights came out and escorted her and Father Malcolm into the mansion. They both wore solemn looks on their faces the entire time. The Queen felt as though she was going to be sick, but swallowed down a lump that formed in her throat.

After a few minutes, they were stopped when they arrived at Elliot's favorite place: the study. A knight knocked on the door three times until they heard a response from the Duke. The doors were opened, allowing Queen Rin and Father Malcolm to enter.

"Duke Belray, you have visitors," one of the knights announced.

The platinum haired man looked up. His eyes swirled with confusion when they landed on his grandfather and the Queen. Elliot got up from his desk and dismissed the knights, leaving them alone. He smiled lightly at them as he made his way toward them.

"Grandfather, Your Highness, to what do I owe this visitation?" he asked.