Twenty Seven | Back To Back (Part I)

Of all things, why did this have to happen?

They came here to Viridian Village in hopes of gathering more insight about the foreign military creating tension between allies. Along the way, they happen to stumble upon Soul's childhood best friend who also happened to be the representative of this village. She and Soul filled the gap of their friendship after she disappeared for almost eight years. For once, Soul's worries were calm, tricking her into thinking that nothing could go wrong. She really thought that after everything that's happened on this journey, it would all be over by now.

Boy was she wrong, because she found out there really was a calm before the storm.

Hours Earlier

"Soul, may I have a word?"

The blonde woman cursed mentally when she heard Aaron's voice ask that dreaded question, especially this early in the morning. She had a feeling he wanted to talk about why she left out that this place was once her home. It wasn't his fault for being curious, but she just hoped he'd leave it alone for now. Bittersweet memories were made here, which led to what happened on that failed mission of hers.

Soul turned around and faced the navy haired man, giving him a nod. The one thing she found herself liking about Maya's mansion was how big it was. Since there were no signs of anyone being around here, it didn't bother her so much to have this discussion.

"Yes?" she asked.

"Don't you think it would've been nice to know that you were from Viridian Village?" he questioned in a scolding manner. His eyes softened when he saw the guilt in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

"It's fine..." Soul sighed. "I just didn't want to talk about it."

"Would this have to do with your mother's disappearance?" Aaron asked.

He knew he hit the nail when she hesitantly nodded. Perhaps he could've phrased that question better, but it was better than referring it as her mother's murder. That failed mission of Soul's involved her poor mother and a sick and twisted demon who ripped her away from her family. He couldn't blame Soul for being hesitant about being here.

"I miss her a lot." Soul took a deep breath. "It's just unbelievable that it all started in the village: her home. She... Mother didn't deserve such cruel fate. That's why when that bastard slipped through my fingers during that mission I—"

Soul stopped her rambling when Aaron pulled her into a tight embrace. Her green eyes widened at his sudden action that she couldn't form her words properly. The navy haired man held her tightly, trying to comfort her like he did when she failed that mission.

"You did all you could, Soul. What that bastard did was unforgivable, and may Arceus damn his spirit into the depths of the Distortion World. But please, don't punish yourself for what happened. No one could've known how it would've turned out."

His words reminded Soul of something similar the first time he comforted her like this. Aaron remained true to his word and was there for her even through the toughest of times. He was someone who she could count on when she needed him.

How lucky was she to have met someone like him?

Soul immediately wrapped her arms around Aaron and returned the embrace, the feeling of comfort well within her heart. The warmth she felt in the embrace was one she found herself loving the most.