Thirty Six | Heroes Fall

The bright crystal like structures that differ from shape and size glowed a magical blue color as the man who stood in the center of the cave glanced at them. His navy eyes reflected the crystals, the significant color reminding him of a certain someone he held dear to his heart. His heart cracked just the tiniest bit as he remembered the reason he was doing this in the first place. Pain filled his heart as he recalled why he had to do this, why he let himself be called a traitor by his best friend and apprentice before locking him away into his staff, and why he had agreed to take on such an initiative in the first place.

He was doing this to keep Soul Fraverden alive.

Aaron clenched his jaw and balled up his hands into fists, the anger he built up earlier starting to boil over. His anger was not directed at Soul, but rather the thing that resided within her: the Ethereal Sphere. That so called legendary treasure was nothing more than a curse— taking the life of the person who bore it. It was because of that thing that his lover was in great danger.

When Aaron heard about the truth, his heart dropped. The future he wanted to have with Soul would only be nothing but a mere fantasy; a fairy tale that would never come true. However, if sacrificing himself meant protecting her and end a bloody massacre, then he would turn the other cheek and go with it. After all, Aaron was a knight and an aura guardian. He was sworn to protect humanity, even at the price of his life.

His mind went back to the conversation he and the Queen had after she sent Soul back to her room. His navy fringe shadowed over his eyes as he recalled the moment the Queen gave him her orders after the two foreign military marched toward each other at war.

"Milady?"

The blonde royal turned her whole body to face Aaron, who was still trying to figure out what she was up to. With desperate looking eyes hidden in her serious demeanor, Queen Rin gave him the thought that had occurred to her.

"I have a plan," she informed, though her expression faltered a bit. "However...."

The Queen's demeanor changed into one of sadness, as if she did not want to say the next words that may cause a difference in this turn of events. Aaron clearly read her like an open book, noting her hesitation. He was well aware it could not be good, but no matter what it was, he would still do whatever order she gave.

"Tell me, Milady. What is it that I have to do?" he asked.

"...You must go to the Tree of Beginnings and call upon Mew. Give it your power to end this meaningless battle," she answered.

Aaron's serious demeanor never changed. When he knew something good was not coming up, he knew. Rather than reacting with surprise and giving her an incredulous look, the navy haired man nodded his head.

"I'll do it," he confirmed, causing the Queen's eyes to widen.

Guilt picked at her as she suddenly remembered something. She knew he and Soul had something going on, most likely a romantic relationship. The Queen felt terrible knowing she was going to separate the two. They had a future together, but it seemed now that it would only be a dream hard to reach.

"I apologize for having you do this." She let her gaze drop to the floor. "I know that you know you are most likely going to die, and I feel awful separating you and Soul."

"If sacrificing myself means ending this war and keeping her safe from harm's way, then I'd gladly give my life for her," he assured, causing a ghostly smile to appear on the queen's lips.

"Why go to such lengths for her?" she asked rhetorically. However, despite that, Aaron still answered.

"Because I love her with all my heart."