Thirty One | Humanity's Wheel Of Heroes

By the time the group managed to cover half of their journey to their next location, Pewter Village, the clock had already struck the evening. Pewter Village was not too far from Viridian Village, but it was still a good distance away. The mission that was given to them a little over three months ago was beginning to reach its conclusion. After all, they only needed to make two more stops before they could finally be able to return home. However, a few questions remained.

What would happen once the mission was over? Would everyone go back to the lives they had before they were all brought together? Most importantly, would it be too late for it all?

Those were the same questions that roamed around Soul's mind as they continued walking the dirt trail that led to their destination. It had not occurred to her once throughout this mission until she realized something. Now that the last fugitive of Johto was gone, there was no longer the possibility of any more ambushes. If that was the case, the rest of this mission should go by smoothly. But then again, that was not a reason to bring her guard down.

There were still questions she had about the foreign fugitives. For one thing, she remembered Cato Hann had said something about Johto already breaking the contract between them and Kanto because someone hadn't helped them during a crisis. What did he mean by that? Who did they hate so much to drag an entire nation into a mess they weren't involved with? Most importantly, how would this all end?

A tired sigh left her lips as she stretched her arms over her head, a satisfying pop or two leaving her relaxed. The blonde woman let her arms fall to the side, now feeling more relaxed. Despite those unanswered questions she had, Soul felt as if some sort of weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Maybe it was the fact that she came back to her home after being away for so long. Even though she dreaded coming back, she was glad she did.

After all, she got back something that once belonged to her mother. At the thought of this, Soul grabbed the necklace that was hidden under her shirt and pulled it out. Earlier, she had slid the ring into the chain because she was worried she might lose it if she wore it on her finger. Plus, it was a wedding ring. That might be a little bit suggestive if anyone saw her wearing it.

A fond smile graced her lips as she watched the diamond on the ring shine from the moonlight. The sapphire gem on the necklace also shined, but not as bright as the diamond. Soul was not much of an accessory wearer, but the necklace and wedding ring were very important to her. It was all she had left of her mother.

"That's a very beautiful ring."

Her reminiscing thoughts came to a halt at the sound of Aaron's voice next to her. Soul removed her gaze from the ring to her fellow comrade, who looked back at her with a small smile.

"Thank you," she replied. "Father once said he went through a lot of trouble finding the perfect ring for her."

"Well he certainly picked the right one."

"Just kiss already!"

Both aura guardians were startled at a certain Pokémon's loud and obnoxious voice as a mad blush began to creep up on their faces. Gallade chuckled at his own comment, but not until Lucario hit him over the head.

"Ow!"

"You really need to learn self-control," Lucario stated as Gallade rubbed his head.

"But that doesn't mean you have to hit me!"

"Is this what it's like to have talking Pokémon?" Akira wondered out loud as both Gallade and Lucario got into a little argument. Blake and Axel shrugged in response.

"I certainly hope not," the blond knight spoke his mind.

"It's probably just them," Axel added.