30

**Lydia's POV**

"Are you ready babe?" I was putting in my earrings while double checking to make sure my wallet was near my keys. Hannah's party was starting soon but Spencer and I agreed to help them finish setting up if they needed it.

"Coming!" He came out with a washrag on his face and rubbed off the remains of shaving cream from his face. "It's been awhile since I've been able to shave that."

"I didn't mind it." I teased him and just took in how handsome he looked.

"What? Did I forget something?" He glanced down I'm assuming to check if he had pants on.

I giggled, "no babe. You just look really good."

Spencer chuckled and gave me a once over as well, while my cheeks heated up. "I could say the same, I've missed being able to just show you off."

It was true though, within the past three days of just having him home Spencer was slowly looking better. He had slept most of the first day while I stuck around the house just to make sure he didn't have a night terror. We hadn't brought the kids around him yet but after seeing how he would act tonight at the party would determine that is what Luce and I had decided. Charlie hadn't left his side since he was home and we both noticed it brought comfort to him that someone was constantly by him whenever I did step out for a bit.

"Did Jack say how much longer we were going to be under surveillance?"

"He said it would only be for thirty days. I'm honestly considering just letting one of the guys stay with us during that time but I know there's some place nearby that they've been staying at whenever they're not searching the house."

"Either way is fine babe. I didn't know if that would hinder them watching us or anything since they were given specific instructions."

"We'll decide when we get back. Do you have the present?"

"Already in the car." I grabbed my things and went towards the car as Spencer followed behind me. We had gotten Hannah something small even though her parents had said she really didn't want anything. I couldn't imagine not giving a teenager a gift, especially after being gone for two years. The gift was actually Spencer's idea as he had been looking up ideas on the computer. We settled on a ring that had an anchor on it from one of the nicer jewelry stores. Both of us thought it would symbolize a lot for her and added a book to the bag, since Jack had said that she was reading a lot since being home.

"I know she'll love the gift." He kissed my shoulder and opened the car door for me.

I blushed and waited for him to get in on the passenger side before taking off to their "house." It wasn't going to be a very big gathering, but enough for them to use the house that Jack stayed at sometimes when he was home. This was sort of a combined celebration with coming home and her actual birthday.

"I'm glad the other girls are able to come to her party." I felt pride in knowing that my boyfriend and his group had been able to rescue another set of girls and were slowly bringing them to justice.

"I just wish we could've saved more." His eyes closed for a moment while I stopped at the intersection.

"There were more?"

"One had already been stitched up and done away with when I had found Hannah."

I wrapped one arm around him and kissed his temple. "Sweetheart, you saved so many people. You should be proud of that. Don't let this bother you okay? I know it's tough, but there's only so much you can do."

"What if I can't save anymore? Nothing feels right with me being home but I can't even see myself going back..."

"Pull over." I spoke gently as he continued to drive a few feet before listening to me.