WHEN I SAID GOODBYE TO MY MAKERS

The sun was in my eyes when I woke up on the couch. Not knowing what time it was I looked at my phone..

9:18 AM

I casually walked upstairs for the first time. The bedroom was cozy with a large bear carpet, fluffy comforter and pillows. My duffel bag was on the ground, beside the bed. 

I took out a new change of clothes and my bathroom items, then headed into the shower.

Washing away yesterday's stress made me feel lighter.

I refrained from closing my eyes for long in the shower, images of the cloaked figure still scared me - especially now that I knew he was real.

I felt like he would appear behind me in the shower, paranoia was really taking a toll on me.

All this time I thought I was going insane, but I was right.. it was real.. I wish I had been wrong.

I felt so displaced. Plucked from a life I loved and cherished, then thrown into a world of the unknown. A prophecy lingering in my thoughts.

Turning off the shower, I wrapped a towel around myself. 

Wiping away the steam on the mirror, I looked at my reflection, but not for too long, afraid the mirror would crack again. Everything scared me.

But I didn't fear death anymore, it only meant that I'd be out of my misery. 

What do I have to live for? 

Soulmate my mother's voice whispered into my mind.

I ran a comb through my wet hair and changed into a long sweater and tights. I pulled on long socks and my boots.

When I left the room I could hear someone rummaging through the kitchen downstairs.

I made my way down and found Debra cooking with her back to me. "5 minutes" she announced.

I awkwardly walked to the island, slipping out a stool and sitting on it. I watched Debra cook. Every move had a purpose, she maneuvered around confidently.

The aroma of the food she was cooking was mouth watering. She turned off the kitchen fan, and poured beans into two bowls, then she took out two plates from the cabinets and placed one before me.

She continued to pour both of us our servings. By the time she was done, I had a plate of scrambled eggs, hash-brown, toast, and apple slices.

Debra picked up the two bean bowls and slid one towards me as she sat down next to me with her plate. She had triple my serving. I didn't stare or ask - I didn't want to be rude.

We ate in silence. Surprisingly, she finished before me and started washing the dishes. I waited for her to finish, not wanting to burden her with my dishes too but she walked over and took my dishes despite my protest.

Someone knocked on the door and I walked over to see who it was since Debra was busy with the dishes.

"Hey.." I opened the door wider for Mia to come in.

"Hey, uhm, I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk. I could show you around and introduce you to people." She shrugged

I bit my bottom lip. I did assure her that I would give her a chance to explain and she deserved it, she had been a loyal friend for so long.

"Sure, but hold on" I looked at Debra who nodded at me "thank you for cooking me breakfast, I really appreciate it" she smiled in return.

Grabbing my phone and coat, I walked out to the hall.