Chapter 7

Mia's house was a normal house. The living room was painted beige with white furniture.  A snow white cat was snoozing quietly on the footrest. I didn't like cats. Dogs were more my thing. She asked me to sit down which I gladly did. The couch was so soft and comfortable. 

She poured us glasses of juice and brought some cookies from the fridge.  I was on Cloud 9. Then she brought up the topic of homework.  I totally forgot.

When I saw the questions, my mind did a 360 degree turn-about. To be honest, I had no idea.

"So, can you help me?" She asked. I scratched the back of my neck. "Honestly, I have no idea." I said. I think it took a while for that to settle.  When it did, she didn't look happy. She let out a small "oh." I felt pretty bad.

"Okay then since you won't be doing anything," she said. That stung a little. "You can go home now. Before my mother comes home." She said.

It was only until a few streets away that I had no idea where I was.

I know. How irresponsible of you Jeremy.  Believe me I'm thinking the same thing.

I walked a little down the street and stopped at the bus stop.

An unfamiliar black Chevy stopped in front of me. The glass went down and Roosevelt leaned across the passenger seat. He smirked.  "Jeremy, she's not even been here three weeks and you're visiting?" He asked, his smirk growing wider as he wiggled his brows.

I groaned. Here we go again. 

"I wasn't visiting. " I said. "Oh really?" He raised his eyebrows. "What are you doing here then?" He asked.  "She asked me to help her with her homework but I didn't understand it myself so she asked me to leave but now I don't even know where I am." I said, frustrated.

His eyes were wide with surprise for a second then her burst out laughing. I blushed.

"Get in." He ordered when he was able to quit his guffawing. I opened the door and got in. I strapped on my seatbelt.

"Where do you live?" He asked. His tone was serious but there was still that stupid smile stuck on his face. I gave him my address and he silently did a U-turn.

"If you have your own car, why do you ride with Brooke to school?" I asked as I noticed it for the first time. "So you're not at all dumb." He mused. "Hey!" "Well, Brooke and I are neighbours so it's easier plus she likes to drive." He said. I nodded. "You two seem pretty close." I noted. "Yeah. We've known each other since we were in diapers." He said.  I immediately felt bad that I thought otherwise. " You know, I used to think that you two were..."-lovers?" He finished for me. I nodded. "Yeah. We get that a lot."

We didn't say anything till we pulled up in front of my house. "I'll see you tomorrow. " I said as I unbuckled my seatbelt. He gave me an amused look. "Tomorrow is Saturday, Jeremy. " He said before pulling out of my driveway.

I facepalmed. How could I not notice? Thank God I didn't make that mistake in front of Mia. I would never be able to walk to school the same.

Imagine what Seyram would do!

Luckily, dad wasn't home when I entered. I hurriedly did my homework  before plopping onto my bed to take a short nap. We had closed quiet early but we got stuck in detention and I got stuck at Mia's house. I still felt bad that I was unable to help her on with her homework. Ugh. Well that sucked.

The next day, I decided to visit Brooke. She had been my best friend for a while now and I didn't even now where she lived.

I took a shower and three on a pair of jeans and a white shirt. I wanted to look my best because it my first time visiting a friend besides Trina.

My dad left early in the morning to go to New York for some business meeting and he was going to be away all weekend long. So I was home alone.

As soon as I stepped out onto the street, a now familiar black Chevy pulled to a stop in front of me. Roosevelt smirked as he took off his shades.

"Going somewhere?" He asked. "Yeah. I'm going to visit Brooke. " I said.  He nodded. "I'm going there too. Get in." He said.

I sighed  in relief. To be honest, I had no idea where her house was.

"What are you thinking about?" Roosevelt asked. I had been silent for a while and surprised that we hadn't arrived yet. Didn't she live so far away?

"Um...I was thinking about Mia." I admitted.  He let out a low whistle.  "What about her?" He asked, ignoring my glare. I sighed. Who was I kidding? I couldn't even hurt a fly.

"Who her mother is." I said. He scoffed. "Why think about her mother?" He asked.  I shrugged. "Just wondering. " I replied.  He nodded thoughtfully. "Or you need her mother's permission before asking her out?" He asked, smirking. I scowled. "No," I spat. "Okay."

After a few minutes of silence, we pulled up at huge building with glass walls and about fifteen floors. Maybe sixteen? It was had to tell.

"Here we are."  Roosevelt announced.  It was kind of unnecessary, really.  "Right." I said, still gazing up at the building. "What floor does she live on?" I asked, finally turning to him. He was tapping away on had phone. "Tenth floor." He replied. "But we're not going up." He said.  Before I could asked what he meant, Brooke and Chantelle came out fully dressed.

I forgot to tell you. They're twins.

"Hi guys." Chantelle greeted. Her black hair was in waves while Brooke's was in curls. Chantelle's  hair was longer and darker than Brooke's plus she was taller, so that was the only difference between them.  I must tell you that Jerry has a crush on her.

He's doing a very good job of hiding it.

"Hi." I replied with a wave.  She rolled her eyes. Brooke put her hands on her hips. "What in Hades' underpants are you-" "I'm sure no one would want to know what's in Hades' underpants. " I cut her off, smirking.

"So they finally you out of prison?" She asked. Now it was her turn to smirk. She knew about my father's strict curfew at two.

"It's not prison, you know." I mumbled, crossing my hands over my chest. " Of course not. " she said sarcastically.  "An overprotective father, always home alone, what's not to like?" She said, shrugging.

I tried much best to make my scowl impressive. I really didn't.

"Impressive. " Chantelle scoffed. "Let's get going. " Roosevelt said, disrupting our little banter and steering the ladies toward the car.

I got in. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"Why don't you wait till we get there?" Chantelle asked, smiling.