Chapter 18

"El Dorado!" "Will you please stop singing?" Jerry asked Brooke. She shook her head vehemently. "Of course not. I'm so happy. " She said.

The four of us had decided to sit around one of the picnic tables outside the cafeteria to have lunch. Trina and Chantelle had decided to join us too.

The reason for Brooke's excitement? Simple. She got placed into AP Biology and she wouldn't stop rubbing it in our faces. I mean, sure, she worked hard and everything so she really deserved it but it wouldn't kill her to shut up.

"I will literally stab you in the oesophagus. " Jerry growled. "You can't kill my twinie." Chantelle said.

"Oh try this," Trina suggested, singing a song from the Lion King. I facepalmed. My friends were incredible. "Wait," Brooke said, her hand hovering above Trina's.

I couldn't help but notice the contrast of her dark skin against Trina's white and I subconsciously glanced towards the cafeteria, where Mia was holed up with Calvin and his cronies.

"How about this one?" She said, bursting into "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast.

"If we are going to have a Disney marathon, someone please tell me because I'd love to join." Emmanuel said, biting into a sandwich.

"Well then you're welcome to join. " Jerry glared at Chantelle, who glared back.

"But guys, on a more serious note, we've got a pop quiz tomorrow. " Trina said. I sighed.  The last thing I needed was a pop quiz.

"How did you know?" Emmanuel eyed  her suspiciously.

"We have our ways." Brooke said, before he could say anything else. "I still don't know how I'm going to be in my seniors' class. Wish me luck, you guys."

"You don't start until next week. " Chantelle pointed out.

"True."

"Jeremy is Fiona still home?" Jerry asked. I nodded. "Any reason?" I asked.  He rolled his eyes. "No I was just asking. "

"Speaking of Fiona," Chantelle said, looking at Jerry and Emmanuel with incredulous eyes. I knew what she was going to say even before she said it.

"I saw you two walk into Jeremy's house dressed like disco lights on Saturday. Any particular reason you embarrassed yourselves like that?" She asked.

Jerry's cheeks coloured while Emmanuel looked like he didn't care.

"I'm not going to say I'm guilty because I'm not. " Brooke laughed. We laughed along.

"You made us come over." Jerry argued.

"Yeah but I didn't ask you to dress like rainbows...." She trailed off then leaned over to whisper something into her twin's ear.

Chantelle blushed furiously.

"Whatever she told you to make you blush like that I do not want to know." Trina said, popping a fry into her mouth. We all burst out laughing, except for Chanty.   

"This is utterly ridiculous. " Brooke said, looking down at her phone in horror. "What is?" I asked. "It's probably something useless. " Jerry muttered from beside me. It was amazing how we had lockers next to each other.

I exchanged a few books from my locker and leaned against it to look over at Brooke's phone.

All I could see was nail polish in different shades off pink.

"What's wrong with that?" I asked. Jerry pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

I'm still wondering how we all ended up as best friends.

Super weird.

"Everything is wrong!" She shrieked. "I ordered them in blue!"

Cue facepalm.

"Give them to Chanty as a gift." Jerry suggested. "You mean you are the one going to give it to her. Come. " She put her arm around him and steered him away from the lockers.

I followed them, only to bump into someone.

Books and worksheets flew everywhere as we collided. "Oh I'm so sorry." She said. When I heard her voice, my back went ram rod  straight. I dropped everything I was picking off the floor and stood up, just in time to see Calvin glaring at me.

I glared right back. I wanted to stick his head in a lavatory.  I wanted to give her a godsize slap across the face to wake her up. How could anyone be so blind?! My heart shrank when she stood to face me.  A dark beauty marred by the ugly welt in the side of her forehead.

Make-up failed, obviously. 

So he had been beating her?

I knew it wasn'tmy business to care. So I didn't. I just skirted around her to join my friends who were waiting for me so we could go to our next class together.  Like proper friends should.

If she has chosen her path, then I wasn't going to stop her. She could go right ahead. As far as I knew, I still had to pass so dad would buy me that car I always dreamed off.

Yeah, I wasn't going to let my English teacher's daughter get in my way.

"Come on guys." I said, dragging Brooke and Jerry behind me just as Mia turned to call my name.

I didn't know she was going to call my name, okay?

I was kinda hoping.

Blame the hormones.

We made it just in time for history but I didn't want to sit down because of the devil's incarnate sitting next to me.

Guys, meet Debbie.

She's cute with curly golden hair, perfect make-up and  a very good friend of the others. Not so much for me.

Debbie and I have a row that has been going on forever since sixth grade. She has pranked me countless number of times in the past so I was a little weary of her.

She smiled at me and blew a pink bubble with her gun before popping it menacingly. I shuddered.

I looked for somewhere else to sit but to no avail. Everyone was looking at me, waiting for me to sit so we could begin the class. Unfortunately, the only available seat was next to Debbie.

"Jeremy?" Mr. Clarke called.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to stand there?"

"Maybe. "

"The whole semester?"

"Maybe. "

He sighed. "Have a seat."

I say down tentatively, then eventually relaxed when no scorpion or spider appeared.

I can't tell you how many times that has happened.

Unfortunately, I jinxed my luck.

I felt something soft and wet press against my jeans, the cold seeping into my butt. I lifted myself so that I could investigate, only to find a rosy pink bubble gum sticking to my jeans and chair.

My face flushed with anger a.d embarrassment as Seyram led the class to laugh at me.