Chapter 16

I pulled a cushion over my lap as I stuffed more popcorn into my mouth. I picked  can of soda from the side table and took a sip, savouring the feel of the sugary soda on my tongue.

"I must admit I have never seen my brother so upset over a girl." Fiona said, plopping down beside me on the couch. I shrugged. "I'm not upset." I said, downing more soda. She took in all the food around me and smiled.

"It's not as if this is the first time." Trina's voice came from the doorway. I looked up to see her drop a book beside me and settle into the armchair. "Oh I love bugs bunny. " She said and grabbed the bowl of popcorn from me. "Hey!" Fiona put an arm on my shoulder. "I'll go make some more." Then she left to the kitchen.

I picked up the book Trina had dropped beside me. It's was a new copy of Wuthering Heights .

"Thanks. " I said.  She shrugged. "I couldn't allowed you to be bored stiff right? Besides, Mia is an idiot. " She said. My face heated.

"No she's not. " I said.

She looked at me as if I just peed on myself.

"Jeremy, she left you alone to go hang out with some guy and his cronies. And the guy in question hurt her. " She said.

"We didn't exactly agree we'd go to Brooke's together. " I pointed out.

She groaned in frustration.  

"Whatever you say." She said, stuffing her mouth with more popcorn. I shrugged.

The doorbell rang and I ran to get it.

Brooke was standing in the doorway, holding on to Runner's leash. Her dark hair had been straightened and she wore a white straitjacket over a black top and blue jeans with converse. Runner barked at me, reminding  me that they were waiting to be let in.

I invited them in and closed the door, wondering what she was doing here so early.

Trina got up to give her a hug and pat Runner's head. "Where's Chantelle?" She asked. Brooke shrugged. "Tricia cornered her. I heard Fiona is home?" I nodded. "She's making popcorn in the kitchen. " "Ohk."

She let go of Runner's leash and the dog immediately started sniffing his way around.

We watched bugs bunny in silence before Fiona entered, balancing a tray of cupcakes and brownies. I frowned. "I didn't know we had cupcakes around. " I said. My sister rolled her eyes and sighed. "I was clearly keeping them away from you." She turned to my best friend. "Hey Brooke. " Brooke broke into a grin as she took the tray from my sister and helped herself to a cupcake.

"Maybe you guys might be able to cheer Jemz up. He's been sullen since he received a phone call." My sister said as she bit into a brownie.  I grabbed one from the tray and bit into it. "I'm okay, as you can see." I said, gesturing around me.

My friends took in the empty soda can, popcorn and numerous chocolate wrappers before snorting. "Of course you are."

"Guys I'm serious. " I said.

"Don't worry. Denial is what they do first." Brooke said, placing a placating hand on mine. I blushed furiously.

"Are you saying-" I was cut off by Trina.

"But you need to accept it." She said, surprisingly soft.

"Wait. Hold up." Fiona interrupted. Her eyebrows almost disappeared into her hair line. "Are you saying my baby brother's on drugs?"

The look on her face was enough to send both girls guffawing.

"We'd better start helping you with lunch before uncle comes home." Trina said once we finished the pastries. I needed something to distract me since I couldn't think about Mia's date with Calvin.

I mean was she seriously so blind?! The guy was clearly after something else. I thought him shooting her down was enough for her to see his true colours the day. I had grown especially wary of him the day she interrupted Brooke and I in the music room, suddenly bursting into tears.

And then when he shows up on her doorstep with a bouquet of lilies and a sweet apology, she runs back to him like a faithful dog to her master.

"Glaring at the floor when it's done nothing to you won't help you in any way." Brooke said. I snapped my head up to meet her gaze and swallowed at the sight of the knife she's holding. I know she would never hurt me. I'm her best friend after all but I couldn't help but be wary of the blade.

"That looks rather sharp..." I said backing away.

"Oh this?" She asked, taking a step towards me.

I knew it was cowardly running away from my best friend simply because she was holding a knife but you guys haven't met Brooke.

I didn't want to be her lab-rat for the experiment to see how the oesophagus in a male's  throat looks like.

Please, I beg to differ.

"That's the entire point." She said, then halted in her tracks. My face split into a grin. "That was the worse pun in the history of mankind. " I said, guffawing.

Fiona and Trina raced out of the kitchen to see what was so funny but since neither of us were willing to elaborate, Trina begrudgingly left to answer  the doorbell  which had been ringing insistently for some time now.

My eyes fell on Brooke as she stifled a grin. Her dark hair and mocha skin reminded me so much of Mia's  I had to glare at the carpet a again.

A pair of friendly voices made me lift my head.

"What the heck?" Fiona said, studying the two idiots that had entered, looking like they advertised rainbows or something.

Jerry wore a loud yellow T-shirt with Winnie the Pooh printed on it and a pair of bright green jeans. As if his was any consolation, Emmanuel wore a loud leopard print purple shirt and beach themed Bermuda shorts.

"Guys..." Brooke started but ended up trailing off. I wonder if she felt as speechless as I did. "That's quite a statement." She managed to say at last.

"Their clothes are clearly making up for the lack of attention they got as children. " Trina said dryly.

We all burst out laughing as my eyes landed on the duo of traffic-light boys. If Chantelle were here, I wonder what comment she'd pass. Jerry had clearly known she wouldn't be which was why he'd dressed as a walking club.

"I know I asked you guys to cheer him up but not go as far as dressing as if you just walked out of a rainbow!" Brooke said, stomping her feet.

I blushed at the thought of all my friends being there for me. It's made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

As if to prove his mistress's point, Runner barked at the two newcomers,   who used my sister and Trina as cover.

"Heel, boy." Brooke said, whistling. He growled at the guys a last time before trotting to her side.

"I envy the friends you have, Jemz." Fiona said. I blushed. "We're your friends too." Jerry said.  She grinned at him. "Let's resume making lunch while the guys play with Runner?" Trina suggested.

They didn't really leave us a choice since they all disappeared into the kitchen.

I turned to the guys and still-growling beast.

"Uhh. . . Heel?" I said. The dog barked ferociously at me while the other guys burst into laughter.

If this was Brooke's idea of cheering me up I would never sulk again.