Chapter 24

"I'm not going to stay up late to watch Annabelle with you guys." Chantelle growled, gathering her things off the ground. "Stop being such a scaredy cat, Chanty. " Trina said, trying to pull her back down. She kicked Trina's hand away.

"Okay fine. You get to choose the movie. Just please come back." Brooke said. Chantelle huffed and sat down again, her expression smug.

If you are wondering where we were, we were at Brooke's house, having a sleepover. It was just me, Jerry, Emmanuel, Trina, Mia, Brooke Chantelle and Declan. Just the eight of us. After that last time in school,  things went pretty well. Calvin got expelled. And he deserved it anyway because he was failing all his classes. Mia and i got closer. We became best friends until Brooke said that i "gro some balls" like I didn't already have them,  and ask her out. So I did. I took her out to lunch at McDonald's. I couldn't take her out to dinner I had curfew. Dad got mad when he found out I was involved in a fight. But his mood changed abruptly when i handed him my report card. I week later,  I was the proud owner of a black Hyundai Accent.

Fiona left exactly two days after that. I hated to see her go. It would mean I would be alone but Mia promised I could come over and hang out anytime I felt like it.

Then Brookke had this crazy idea of organising a slumber party at her house. Her parents didn't mind,  trusting all of us not to do anything stupid. They promised they would leave the lower half of the house for us and they did. Which was kind of a surprise.

"We're watching the great wall." She finally decided. We all sighed. "Thought you'd gone into cardiac arrest." Jerry muttered. She laughed and flicked his forehead. Brooke suddenly got up,  hitting her ice cream tub with a spoon.

"Let's hear some music before we start yeah?" She asked,  looking around.

Mia nodded from beside me,  her long dark hair pulled back into a ponytail. She wore a sleeveless yellow top and Barbie jammies. I rolled my eyes when I saw the jammies. She looked cute though.

"What song are we listening to?" Emmanuel asked. Brooke's eyes lit up. Mia giggled. "This is the look she gets when she's up to something. "Mia whispered in my ear. I couldn't stop myself from grinning. "I know right?" I whispered back. She nodded, her eyes shining. I put an arm around her shoulder and pulled her close.

Today had been perfect. There wasn't anything I wanted more than seeing all of us together and happy. And at peace.

Brooke called Declan to the piano, catching him off guard. He shot her an amused look as he made his way to the polished grand piano, sitting down on the bench.

He started playing.

"Wow." Mia gasped from beside me. "He's really good. " I nodded. "Yeah." All of a sudden, Chantelle gasped. Declan turned to smirk at her. Brooke stood still in the middle, her eyes shining.

"Brooke that's your song!"

"Is echoing inside my head. Single voice above the noise and like a common thread," Brooke sang.

"Hmm you're pulling me." Declan continued. That stupid grin still stuck on his face as he played.

"When I hear ma favourite song, I know that we belong..." Chantelle picked up.

Soon, we were all singing along as he
continued to play the song.

"That was incredible." Brooke said, tears shining in her eyes. Declan kissed her forehead. "I'm glad you liked it." He whispered.

"Oh you guys get over here so we can start the movie. " Trina said.

"Aye." Brooke said and sat with Declan on their sleeping bags. "Sometimes I wonder if she'll ever get married. "Brooke said. Trina threw her ice cream spoon at her and we all laughed. Chantelle started the movie.

"I think they'll fall in love. "I whispered somewhere in the middle. "Oh shut up. You whisper something every two minutes. Why don't you stop being a student and go be a movie critic." Mia scolded. Everyone chuckled. Eventually, she fell asleep with her head on my shoulder.

I had never felt so at peace in all of my life. Right now with all my friends here, there's nothing place I'd rather be.

                         THE END