Chapter 1

"120 years ago, after the war, our founders created a system they believed would create lasting peace. They divided society into five factions," said Mrs. Johnson, my grumpy history teacher. "In one week you will take the aptitude test, to see which faction you belong in." She smiles, "But don't worry. 95% get their birth faction."

I look over at Hector and roll my eyes he mouths Mrs. Johnson's next words, "The future belongs to those who know where they belong," causing me to laugh.

"Miss Eaton?" Mrs. Johnson asks, "What is so funny? Would you like to share it with the rest of the class?" Her eyes stare at me and I shake my head. "Okay. There is a new project being introduced this year. Before you take the test, you are going to be in a group of five, one from each faction. You are to visit each person's house and eat one meal of their faction. Once you have visited each faction, you are to write one paragraph, for each of the other factions, so 4 total, about the lifestyle of their faction. I will put you into groups now."

There aren't many students in my class. There are about 30, so 6 from each faction, which isn't a lot.

Hector leans over to me. "I hope I'm not paired up with Brian the brainiac over there." He nods his head towards the Erudite group. I turn around and look at the kid he is talking about. Brian Prior.

"Miss Eaton. Mr. Pedrad. I told you two to stop talking. please come sit in the front of the room, so I can keep an eye on you." I roll my eyes and grab my black book bag off the back on my chair. Hector grabs his books and walks down the isles of rows. I follow behind him. I look back at Johanna, one of my best friends, and she make a heart around me and Hector with her hands. I mouth shut up to her and roll my eyes.

I take a seat next to a stiff. I drop my book bag to the floor, causing the her to jump. I look away, annoyed by the jumpiness of the girl.

Mrs. Johnson clears her throat, "I will read off the groups. There will be five groups of five and one of six, because there is an extra dauntless student. The groups are as follows. Mr. Pedrad, Miss Eaton," I glance at Hector and smile, "Mr. Davis, Miss Jacobs, Miss Kerman," There is a sigh from next to me, the stiff, Miss Kerman is in my group, " and Mr. Prior," Mrs. Johnson reads from a list in her hand. Hector sighs angrily when the last name is called. He looks at me and mouths, at least we are together. "Whoever is in that first group, please go stand over there to discuss your plan," Mrs. Johnson says, pointing to a corner of the room.

Hector and I get up, leaving our stuff behind. The stiff follows a few steps behind. We reach the corner and I look at Hector. He is glaring straight at Brian. Then he looks at me then back at Brian. He whispers in my ear, "You guys kind of look a like, yanno, same facial structure." I roll my eyes and elbow him in the stomach.

"Um...," the Amity girl who I don't know says, "I'm Lani Jacobs, Amity," a smile grows on her face. There are flowers braided in her bleach blonde hair, and she is wearing a long red dress.

The candor boys laughs a little, "I'm Jacob Davis." Lani laughs a little and looks away. Jacob stares at her, and I roll my eyes. I don't know which one I hate more.

"I'm Jenna Kerman," the girl from abnegation whispers. I don't understand why someone would want to be in that faction. You don't get to do anything. No make up, no cute clothes, no fun, nothing. I think it's stupid.

"Well, I am Brian. Brian Prior," Brian says, receiving a snort of laughter from Hector. I elbow him in the stomach once again.

"What?" Hector asks, a smile growing on his face, when everyone stares at him. "He's cocky 'cause he's erudite." I stifle a laugh and look at Hector. "Oh. I'm Hector Pedrad." he smiles, receiving a smile back from only the amity girl. The stiff is staring at her shoes, Brian is glaring from Hector to me, then back to Hector, and the candor guy is staring at the blonde.

Everyone looks at me. "Al Eaton," I say.