Chapter 15

- Al -

.

.

"It's so pretty," Lani says, in awe about my tattoo.

"Thanks," I say and I pull my shirt back down.

"What if when you take the aptitude test, your not brave? What if you have aptitude for another faction?" Brian asks, in his snotty erudite tone. How am I related to him?

I am about to say something, but Hector does first. "Well, Al is one of the bravest people I know. She will be dauntless," he smiles at me. I smile back, and Brian mutters something under his breath.

We head towards the exit to the compound, when I see someone, who I haven't seen in a few weeks. "Amar!" I scream, and I sprint towards my brother.

He pulls me into an embrace. "Al! I missed you so much!" He says, squeezing me tighter.

"I missed you too," I say, and release him, "But I have to go. We'll catch up tonight, okay?" I head back towards the group, and they all give me strange looks, except Hector.

"What?" I ask, "He's my brother."

There are a few "Ohhs" and head nods, but Brian stays still.

"How many siblings do you have?" he asks.

"I'm one of four," I say.

He nods his head. "How old are they all and what are their names?"

"Well, that's Amar, he's 18. Then there's me. Then there's the twins, Nat and Andy, they are 14." I say.

"Who are-" Brian starts, but Hector interrupts.

"Hey. Twenty questions? Let's get going." He says, making the whole group, except Brian, laugh.

We leave the compound to see Tommy enter, alone. He must've left early. As we pass him, he winks at me, and I can feel my cheeks turn bright red. I smile back at him. And Hector gives him a glare. Is Hector jealous?

I brush my thoughts to the side as we enter our building.

We walk through the lobby, and I see Christina looking through the fridge.

"Hey Christina!" I say and she waves, because her mouth is full of food.

We make our way to the elevator and when we enter, Hector pushes the button that says 'Uriah Pedrad'. It has to say his dad's full name because he and Zeke both live in the apartment.

The elevator ride is silent, except for Brian tapping his foot. He is probably nervous to meet my mom.  The elevator dings, and we walk out. Hector's house is a lot cooler than mine. When you walk out, it is a small platform with a cool railing. Then, you take a white spiral staircase downstairs. The next room has a pretty white u-shaped couch. Hector runs in and jumps onto the couch. I do the same, but everyone just looks at us.

Hector stands up and walks over to the kitchen. His kitchen is small, but really cool. The cabinets are all see through, and there is a white island counter in the the middle. Marlene loves to cook, so there are so many cooking supplies. She has tried to teach Mom how to cook, but Mom just doesn't have that talent. Hector throws me a can of soda, and asks of anyone wants one. He gives one to Jacob and Lani.

"Want one?" he asks Brian and Jenna.

"No thanks. There are unhealthy ingredients and calories that could damage your teeth and parts of your organs." Brian says, his erudite showing.

Hector rolls his eyes, he asks Jenna, "How 'bout you?"

She shakes her head. "To selfish?" Hector asks.

"Give me one," Jenna says.

"Loosening up the stiff, Hector?" I ask, and we all laugh. Jenna takes a sip, and a huge smile grows on her face, causing us to laugh again.

We head out of Hector's place, and I press the elevator button that says 'Eaton'. We reach the top floor, and exit the elevator. Mom is there, making something, but whatever it is smells awful.

"Hey Mom," I say as we walk into the kitchen.

She smiles, then her eyes meet Brian's. She stares at him for a moment, and tears fill her eyes. "You look so much like your father."