Chapter 49

- Al -

.

.

There is a huge boom, and I cringe. I know it is just thunder, but I've always been afraid of storms. I would alway run off and hide, leaving everyone to worry about me. There hasn't been a thunder storm in years, which is probably why this storm is so big.

I tightly squeeze Hector's hand, and he glances down at me. I try to force a smile, but I don't think that it works.

I look up at him, and he is staring off at the storm. The wind is blowing back his long dark hair and his light blue eyes are glistening. He isn't paying any attention to what Brian is saying about where we have to go. He is standing right next to me, our shoulders barley touching. He is so close, yet so far away.

I hear a crash, and I turn on my heel. The tornado thing just tore down another building. I don't even think about what I'm doing, I just run.

"Al!" I hear someone call, maybe Hector, but it could be Brian. "Where are you going?!"

I had no idea until the question was asked, but now I know. "The fence." I say.

"What?!" I hear Jo call over the roaring winds and pouring rain.

"The fence!!!" I call, and I hear all the slopping mud, from everyone running, stop. I glance back, and they all have a puzzled look on their faces.

"No way Al," Maci says, "Let's just find another safe house!"

"Yeah, it's definitely a lot safer in a safe house than in an empty field!" Brian calls.

Jo yells at me next, "That wall could just fall down right on us, Al, let's go!"

"And let Ethan catch us?" I say, and everyone falls dead silent, "And he will definitely kill me and Jenna, so I think the fence is the safest option."

Hector walks up to me, and grabs my hand. "I go where ever you go." He says, and plants a kiss on my cheek. I feel a tear run down my cheek, Hector tightly squeezes my hand. He has always been there for me, from helping me since before I can even remember to him being there for me when I found out who I really am. Wait, he doesn't actually know who I really am. He still thinks I'm Divergent. Crap. I should have told him a long long time ago.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you too," he says.

He pulls me into a hug, so I am facing the fence. That's all I can see, the fence in the distance. My freedom is on the other side of that fence, but who knows what is lying in my path.

.

.

The mud is covering my clothes as I trudge through the now swampy area. Usually there are fields here, but most of the crops are now covered in mud and crushed into the ground. It has probably been ten minutes of running, and the tornado thing is still tearing down the city, building by building.

"Is that thing ever going to go away?" Jo calls out. We are now in a slow walk, our feet getting heavier from the mud compiling on our feet.

"The typical storm like this usually only lasts about twenty minutes, but this one is obviously generated by something in the erudite data base, or this storm would have been terminated by now." Brian says, and we all turn to him with an eyebrow raised.

"English please," Jo says.

"He said that the storm should be gone but 'cause it's not over, he thinks the erudite made it." Maci says.

There is a chorus of 'ohhhs' and I nod my head. "So they knew that we would go to a safe house, and they would easily target us." I say, and Brian looks at me with a surprised look on his face.

"Okay, I just have one question," Hector says, "So if you three or Al and Jenna are Divergent then why didn't they pretend that I was dead, saying I am Divergent too."

Maci's mouth falls open and so does Jo's. We are all standing there, just staring at Hector, but he looks right at me.

"Al," he says, and I am just awkwardly standing there. Crap, I know this lie has gone way too far.

.

.

- Hector -

.

.

"So they knew that we would go to a safe house, and they would easily target us." Al says, and Brian looks at her with a surprised look on his face, and I do too. Wow I didn't know that she was so smart, well she is Erudite too.

"Okay, I just have one question," I say, "So if you three or Al and Jenna are Divergent then why didn't they pretend that I was dead, saying I am Divergent too."

Maci's mouth falls open and so does Jo's. They are just all standing there, staring right at me, but I look right at Al.

"Al," I says, and she is just awkwardly standing there. I see the confusion in her deep blue eyes. Even though she isn't wearing any makeup and is covered in mud and rain water, she is beautiful. Her wet, now tangled, dark blonde hair is plastered to her face, and there are tears in her eyes. Her all black outfit is covered in mud, but she still looks amazing.

"Hector, there is something I hav-" she starts, but there is a loud crash, and the building closest to us is torn down. After the tornado moves closer, I see an army of black marching towards us. I see Ethan at the front, but there is someone else in the army right next to him that I recognize.

"Is that-" I start, and Al finishes for me.

"Marcus Eaton."

.

.

AN:

Only three or four more chapters left!!!

Keep voting, sharing, reading, and commenting!

Thank you all so so much!!