Chapter 23

"So you are the one who claimed him as your own."

Amber eyes met with onyx eyes as the chief looked at Shureii who stared back unflinchingly.

"Yes."

Although outwardly she remained calm, inside she was on guard. This man was someone who had great power and intellect. That much she could tell just by looking at his eyes.
____________________________________
FLASHBACK

*reminder: the children do not get their growth spurts until they are 12 or 14 so Yuki is still small--the same size as little Soushi ^^*

Having made her resolution to protect her son, Shureii was about to take the child away from the people who obviously hated him. However, as she lifted the child to take him away, she was stopped by the same man who had grabbed her. Despite their large size difference, Shureii glared defiantly at him, ready to fight if she had to.

Seeing her defensive stance, the man lowered his arm.

"You claimed him as your own when he is not of your own blood."

Her only response was to narrow her eyes.

"And?"

He fought the urge to back away when he felt the same chill he had from before. Following his instincts, he lifted his hands in the universal sign for surrender.

"It has never been done before. We need you to meet with the Chief."

Seeing her unwavering stance, he spoke in a less commanding tone.

"The nights here are dangerous. You will not survive by yourself. The nights are cold and the animals fierce."

And they dared to leave a child out to fend for himself...Shureii thought, her anger evident in her eyes.

He tried a different tactic.

"It is for your own good."

*glare*

"...and the--" He stopped himself from saying the taboo word. "...your son's."

At this, her eyes softened and her stance loosened ever so slightly.

"How?"

"It would be to validate your claim of him."

She held his gaze, trying to see if he had any ulterior motives. After a few moments she judged that what he said was true.

His words are true and may be beneficial in the long run. Still...

Looking down, she spoke in a tender tone to Yuki, whose wails had subsided into soft sniffles.

"Do you want to go to the village?"

At this she felt him stiffen.

I thought so...

But when she opened her mouth to refuse, Yuki beat her to it.

"--ill go."

"Hmm?" Shureii lowered her ear to hear him better.