Chapter 49

They had not spoken of the incident and carried on like before. However Shureii knew that beneath all of his smiles and jokes Eiji was worried about her. Still she chose to pretend to be oblivious to that and merely smiled and laughed with him.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Smiling, she greeted Eiji as he dropped Yuki off after taking him out for some training with the kcmita.

"Thank you for your help."

"Yes, thank you, Eiji!" Yuki said happily, hugging his sheathed kcmita.

"A pleasure as always." Eiji said, ruffling Yuki's head.

Turning to face Shureii, he winked.

"Then Shureii," he said with a grin and a belying elegant bow. "I will see you tomorrow."

Laughing softly, Shureii nodded and waved him goodbye.

Eiji...

Her hand dropped to her side just like the way her heart weighed itself down.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
After a week, it was time for Eiji to return to his home.

Dipping his head, King Vincent acknowledged the bow Eiji gave him.

"Please send my greetings to the Great Chief."

"I will."

"And mine as well."

Risteard said, coming out of what seemed to be thin air. He had taken a liking to Eiji who had eyes filled with unadulterated determination and strength that reflected unmistakable nobility in his blood.

As expected of one of the Abenaki people. They do not claim a kingdom for their own, but are fierce and renown none the less.

"You are welcome to come to my kingdom someday as well. You will be warmly welcomed."

"Thank you, King Risteard." Eiji said with another bow.

Then he turned to face Shureii.

Although she was not royalty or proper nobility, she was the sole reason as to why they had come together in the first place so she was a special exception to the regulations in the palace.

Taking her hand, Eiji bent to kiss it.

"Goodbye Shureii. Be well."

He had told her earlier than he would be busy for at least the next few years with preparations for his royal coming-of-age ceremony when he turned 20 which was in 3 years.

Shureii looked up into those gentle golden eyes and saw only love and gentleness. He thought that they would meet eventually, but she knew better. Even though she didn't know the exact time she would have to leave, she knew 3 years was unlikely.

Ever since she had come into this world, she had come to view Eiji as someone like her best friend. Somehow he seemed to hit off well with her. Out of everyone she met so far, he was the one who seemed closest to understanding her the best.

He took away some of the homesickness she had from missing her friends and family from her old world. Even though she had not explicitly told him that she was not of this world, he knew. He knew, but kept quiet about it, like he did now with her hidden pain.