Chapter 26

"Shureii..."

The warrior tested out her name, drawing out her name.

"So that is your name..."

Shureii shifted her eyes to where Eiji sat next to the Chief.

His initial dazed look that accompanied his passionate proposal was diminished, leaving him with an expression of calmness and composure. However, beneath the surface of his appearance was a reverence of sorts as he gazed at her. When her eyes met with his, she found herself automatically turning her eyes away from him.

Uwah! Shinjirarenai*(I can't believe this!)...How could someone as old as me be affected by someone so much younger than me?! Baka! Baka! Baka! I know he is good looking! I know he just proposed to me! I know that he has this weird gentleness in his eyes! Still...! ... ... ...Yappari*( i knew it)...I am a failure as a human...

Shureii was happy that she managed to pull herself out of her teen-like flustered state, but now she was slightly depressed at her self-bashing. Luckily, none of this showed in her face and Yuki didn't notice anything out of ordinary.

"Shureii...have you met anyone with the same features as you? Black hair and black eyes?" The Chief asked.

"No..." Shureii said, turning back to look at him. "I haven't." Now that I think about it, Louis had seemed surprised at my appearance when he first met me...

"But mama...you have brown hair and brown eyes..." Yuki said, taking another look at Shureii.

Hearing his words, Shureii realized that it was true. Right now she should still have the appearance-altering magic on. Does that mean the magic is no longer in effect?

As if he read her thoughts, the Chief's next words expounded on his question.

"I cannot see through the appearance magic cast on you, but I could see that you have it on. Eiji, on the other hand, can see through any form of magic."

"Oh." That explains it.

"I understand why you would wish to hide your unique features. Do not worry, this is a family trait. My ability continues to diminish with age and Eiji's gets stronger. Thus, it is only us who can see your true appearance. Then let me ask you another question: do you have any living family members?"

Ah...now what do I say...I don't want to lie, but somehow telling him the truth about my reincarnation doesn't seem to be a good idea. Even with Ecahalt's help, I still do not have any previous memories of the body I inhabit... Deciding on a neutral answer, Shureii shook her head.

"Not that I know of. For as long as I have remembered, I have not met anyone who looked like me."

"Do you know of your people?"

My...people? Uncertain, Shureii shook her head. Not even the memories provided by Ehacalt revealed anything related to people of her origin.

"I see...Then never mind..."

The Chief's voice held the barest hint of sadness as his expression momentarily darkened before resuming its composure.

But...why? Also, wasn't he going to explain something related to my name? Why is he so silent? Before she could dwell more on that thought, the Chief himself switched the subject.

"Eiji, is she the one?"

Surprised at his abrupt question, Shureii turned her eyes to the warrior, only to find that he was still looking at her.

"Yes...I could never mistaken the face of my savior."

Hai?

"Do you remember healing the wounded leg of a wolf?"