Chapter 12: Second Shot

Chapter 12:

I down my second glass of wine in a minute flat. It's slowly helping me loosen up.

I find myself biting my lips or my nails or my hair, just anything to keep me distracted. I'm too on edge to even eat the salad I ordered. My mind is absolutely spinning. Ben is getting inside my head again and it's only been five minutes of conversation.

I'm starting to think that maybe it's because the last time we dated I never really got over it. There was no closure for me, I had no say in any of it. I wasn't finished with him, and maybe I've held onto this unfinished business without even realizing it.

"Rosie do you not like the salad?" Brook snaps me out of my confusing thoughts.

"What? Oh." I reply.

"You didn't answer the question." She raises an eyebrow.

"Question?" I finally start paying attention to the conversation.

"I asked if the salad was okay. Are you alright?" Brook asks, looking concerned.

"Yes. I'm just not in the mood for salad." Honestly the thought of eating lettuce makes my stomach churn.

"Oh, do you want some of mine?" She slides her plate over to me.

"No, I'm not hungry." I change my mind, I don't want anything.

I'm not going to get even fatter with Nina watching my every move. I'm not starving myself. I would have to be hungry in order to do that, but I'm not.

"Right." Brook turns to talk to Ashland.

"Can I get anything else for you guys before I go on break?" Ben comes over and asks.

"No, no. Go enjoy your break." Harry says with a courteous smile.

"Thank you. Hey Rosie, if you don't mind me asking...could we maybe talk outside for a minute?" He says to me. I feel Niall's hard stare into the side of my face. I even catch Ashland stiffen in her chair.

Ben must notice Niall's expression too because he says, "Oh shit, I'm sorry. Are you two still a thing?" He gestures to me and Niall.

I meet Niall's eyes and we immediately look away.

"No, we most definitely are not." Niall says. That was not necessary, he didn't need to add that. A simple no would have sufficed. He just wants to hurt me. Niall never used to purposely hurt me. It's shocking how much people can change.

"Well, what do you say then?" Ben smiles.

I can't accept his offer, I just can't do that to myself. After all this time of killing myself over him...I can't just allow him back. I can't.

"Yea, sure Ben." I reply, despite my mind screaming for me to tell him off. I never could say no to him.

I stand up slowly and smooth out my dress.

"I'm sorry to leave Ash I'll be right back." I feel bad, this is her night.

"That's not the part that upsets me." She says skeptically. She doesn't want me talking to Ben again. I'm really tired of them right now, I think I'm capable of deciding who I speak to.

I ignore her and walk over to Ben, who just hung up his apron.

"Let's go out back." He says and guides me with his hand on my lower back.

We find the street connected to the back of the restaurant. The street lamps cast an orange glow making Ben look really handsome. I can see the muscles in his jaw contract under the light. He leans against a brick wall and I stand beside him.