Chapter 14: I Do's and I Don't Want To's

Chapter 14:

Two weeks fly by. And I mean fly.

They have been nothing but good memories and for that reason I am nothing if not ecstatic today. Ben has been taking up almost all of my time. He's very clingy, but I almost like being wanted that much. I see him everyday unless I'm with Navy and Rebecca to plan the wedding.

Speaking of the wedding, it happens to be today.

I pin back Rebecca's curls with a beautiful pearl barrette that belonged to her mother.

"There, all done." I say. We stand next to each other and look at ourselves in the long mirror of her dressing room. She walks the aisle in less than ten minutes.

I am dressed in a short peach dress that is tight at the bust and puffy at the bottom. It has a halter neckline and I must say I love it. My dress is darker than the other bridesmaids because I am the maid of honor. Navy's sister and Rebecca's friends from America are the other bridesmaids. Rebecca has her three brothers and Navy's best friend, who is the best man, as the groomsmen.

She looks absolutely stunning. Her porcelain skin contrasts against the sharp white of her gown. It is a strapless a-line dress that falls to the floor in a flowy pile. It has a low back and a belt with flowers and beads under her bust. The train of her dress sweeps behind her making her look like a princess. Her lace vail is my favorite part though. It has the same flowers stitched into the lace as her belt does.

Somebody rushes over to us and hands me a small bouquet of peach and white flowers and her a larger one.

"Are you ready?" I ask after a minute of silence.

"Yes." She says quietly.

"Do you mean that?" I ask. I want to make sure she is certain of herself today.

"I don't see how I could love him any more than I do today. So why would I wait for something I would have gladly done yesterday?" She says and smiles at me.

Her words spark something inside of me. I don't know what it is, maybe faith that true love exists? Maybe hope that I could find it myself? But I know she's ready.

"Well then, let's go get this beautiful bride a husband." I say and she blushes.

I walk down the aisle with Navy's best friend Colton, who also happened to be my neighbor in New York. He's very tall and extremely funny. The groomsmen all wear tan tuxedos with the peach of my dress as their undershirts. His is darker than the others as well.

"Let's go get my best friend hitched." He says as we begin to pass the small crowd of their loved ones.

"You're just jealous Colton." I laugh quietly. I notice him look up at Navy, whose brown eyes are filled with emotions.

"I think you might be right." He comments and smiles at his friend. I know what he is feeling. He wants what they have too.

I line up next to the empty spot where the bride will soon stand. And then Rebecca walks out. I glance at Navy to see his eyes glisten with tears.

I can't take my eyes off of the happy couple as the priest conducts the ceremony.

"Do you have the rings?" The priest says and the both respond yes.

"Nathan Johnston, as you place this ring on Rebecca Greene, I now ask you: Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife? Do you promise God, Rebecca herself, and all of us here that from this point forward, your arms may be her shelter and your heart may be her guide? Do you promise to support her and nourish her and to love and respect and honor her for the rest of your days on earth? If so please answer "I do."" He says as Navy slides a band on her finger.