Fourteen

Kelley's POV
I grabbed my bag from baggage claim and walked towards the exit. I saw two kids running towards me and my smile grew bigger when I realised who they were. I let go of my bags and dropped them onto the ground and held my arms up. Ry and Reece ran straight to me and I picked them up and held them tight.

"Oh, I missed you guys."
"We missed you too Kel."
"Mommy missed you a lot as well."
"Well I missed your mommy too but you two more but she doesn't need to know that."

The girls chuckled and I set them down. I watched them as the ran back to Christie and smiled. I picked up my bags again and walked over to them. The girls began skipping ahead of us as we followed them out of the airport.

"How did you know what time I was coming in?"
"I tracked your flight. Listen, I really need to talk to you. Stay the night?"
"Yeah. Can you drop me off at my place so I can grab a clean set of clothes?"
"Yeah. I'll have dinner ready at half six if you want to come over for some."
"Oh, what's on cap's menu tonight?"
"LASAGNA!!"

I looked back at the girls and chuckled. Christie chuckled at how childish we were. After a few minutes she pulled up in front of my house.

"Mom can we go see Kelley's dog?"
"Yeah, please mom."

Christie looked at me and sighed. I chuckled and turned back to the girls.

"How about you guys stay with me for a few hours so we can give your mom a break? We can play with the dog and watch tv and do whatever."
"Mom?"
"Sure. Just no sweets before dinner please."
"Yes ma'am."

I handed Ry my keys and her and Reece jumped out of the car and ran to the door. I made sure they got in before turning back to Chris. She hand her head in her hands and rubbed her eyes.

"You look tired Chris. Go to bed once you get home. I'll take the girls to dinner and keep them for the night."
"I'm fine Kel, I really am."
"What's happening Chris? You're starting to worry me lately. Is everything okay at home?"
"Chris and I are getting a divorce."

I was so taken back by what she said. I looked out the window trying to take it all in and didn't even realise she was crying. I got out of the car and walked around to her side and opened the door. I extended my hand out to her and she took it in hers and allowed me to take control. I helped her out of the car and immediately pulled her into a tight, loving hug as she cried.

"I'm sorry Chris. You shouldn't have to go through this alone with the girls. I want to help out. Starting today. Stay the night with me here. I don't want you guys out of my sight for the next 24 hours."
"You don't have to do this Kel."
"I know but I want to. I know you'd do the exact same for me in a heartbeat. So, please, let me be the one to take care of you for once. Okay?"
"Okay. Thank you."
"Come on and I'll make you some coffee and we'll put you to bed for a while."

I reached over and took the keys out of the ignition and closed the door. I walked to the boot and opened it and took out my bags. I slung them over my shoulder and closed the boot and locked the car. I walked back to Chris's side and took her hand in mine and led her inside.

The girls were playing with the dog and Rocky and Sam were sitting in the kitchen. They were about to saw something but stopped when they saw Christie silently crying. I nodded towards the girls and brought my finger to my mouth to motion for them to be quiet. They nodded and stood up and walked into the living room. I led Christie upstairs to my room and closed the door behind us.

"Sit on the bed Chris."

I walked over to my closet and put my suitcase in there. I closed the door and walked over to the windows. I opened them and took off my shoes. I looked back at Christie as she was sitting on the bed with her back against the headpiece. I sighed and walked over to her and sat on the bed. I turned my head to look at her.