Twenty

Rachel's POV
The elevator doors opened again and we stepped out. Ashlyn walked ahead of us and opened the door for us. Ali led me over to the bed and sat down. She patted for the spot next to her so I crawled in next to her. Ashlyn joined us and turned on the tv.

"We don't need to talk right away but we're here and all ears for when you do."

I nodded my head and looked down at my hands. My lip quivered uncontrollably and the tears fell quickly. Ali put her hand on my knee and I heard the tv turn off. I put the palms of my hands against my eyes and just let the sobs control my body.

"Why did he walk out like that? Why didn't he stay and be the protective father that he is and give me the 'she better not hurt you' speech?"
"I don't know Rach. I really don't know. What I do know is, is that we are so incredibly proud of you. We don't care who you love as long as they treat your right."
"I'm sorry if I disappointed you guys."
"Oh honey. You of all people should know that we could never be disappointed in you. You mean the world to us. There's nothing you could possibly do that we probably haven't done ourselves to make us disappointed in you."
"Yeah Rach. We love you like you're our own. Zach will come around and if he doesn't then that's his own fault. If there's one thing I know about him is that he's probably beating himself up over his reaction."

There was a knock on the door and Ali got off the bed and walked to the door. Ashlyn moved down and put her head on my lap. I looked down at her smiled.

"Is she here?"
"Depends on who 'she' is?"
"Damn Kriegs. You know who I'm on about."
"She's on the bed."

I looked towards where the door was and saw Pinoe. She smiled and held up my backpack. I smiled sheepishly at her and then she reached into her back pocket and pulled out my phone.

"I thought maybe you might need these."
"Thank you."
"No problem."

We sat and talked for a while until Ali told me it was eleven. I hugged her goodbye and same with Ash and Pinoe. I ran down the stairs and arrived in the lobby seconds later to see mom and Alex sitting on the couches by the entrance. I chuckled softly at their motherly antics about being early. I walked over the them and cleared my throat.

"Ready?"
"Yeah."

They both stood up and we walked out of the hotel. I pulled out my phone and got up the directions and we began our walk. It was silent for most of the walk, no one talking, just enjoying each other's company.

"Zach feels really bad for walking out."
"The school is just around the corner."
"Rachel."
"Look, I came out. I'm proud that I did but now I know who's going to support my choices. I really hope you guys do too."

We arrived in front of the school and Steph was standing by the gate on her phone. She looked up and smiled when she saw us. I walked, more like ran, straight to her and hugged her. I think she sensed something was wrong because her grip was tighter than usual.

"Everything okay?"
"I'll tell you later."
"You better."

I let go and smiled at her. She greeted mom and Alex and then led us inside the school. We met the head teacher at the door.

"Ah, Steph. It's nice to see you again."
"You too sir."
"And you must be Rachel. It's nice to finally meet you."
"You too sir."
"And who might you two ladies be?"
"This is my mother Christen and my mum Alex."