Chapter 16

It’s been a week since Camila moved in with the Jauregui’s and today was the day before Christmas eve. To be honest it had been really hard on her. Being away from her “home” made her realise even more that her parents weren’t there anymore. She blamed herself for not being able to attend their funeral. The Jauregui’s were pretty worried about the girl, she seemed to have lost her appetite which was normally HUGE, she lost interest in the things she used to enjoy and she was tired most of the time. Due to the loss of appetite she didn’t eat much, so she also didn’t gain any weight, which made them worry even more because she looked very unhealthy and she probably also was.

Camila was trying her best to act happy since she didn’t want to ruin ‘her family’s’ Christmas. When she woke up that morning to Taylor gushing about how excited she was for Christmas, the dinner and her presents, she immediately felt bad because all the Jauregui’s did for the past week was worry about her. So when Taylor finally left Camila’s room, she immediately got up and texted Normani if she could pick her up in half an hour, she didn’t even wait for a reply, she hopped to her dresser on one leg, picked out an outfit and disappeared into the bathroom. She could already imagine their faces when she would walk down the stairs, in normal clothes for the first time in weeks. After twenty minutes she finally finished dressing up and blow drying her hair a, she plugged in her straightener and hopped back to her bed to check if Normani had replied.

Normani: Sure will be there in 10! but I need to get some chocolates for my mom at the mall alright?

She smiled at the reply, luckily Normani had to be at the mall too.

Camila: Thank you Manibear! I need to get presents for everybody, shush ;)

She clicked on send before getting up from the bed and hopping back to the bathroom again, she straightened her hair until it was reasonably straight. She unplugged the device, applied a little make up and grabbed her crutches before leaving her bathroom. As she carefully walked down the stairs she could already feel their eyes on them. She put a smile on her face before looking up to meet the gazes of Clara, Michael and Lauren who were eating breakfast at the kitchen table, she could hear the television so she assumed Chris and Taylor were eating in the living room. ‘Camila?’ She heard Clara ask with a pretty astonished look on her face, Camila just smiled in response and wished them a good morning when she reached the bottom of the steps. ‘Normani is picking me up, I need to get something, is that alright?’ she asked Clara, who’s facial expression turned into a broad smile ‘of course, as long as you’re back at noon for the Family lunch!’ Clara called after her. Family..

Normani was waiting outside for the smaller girl, when she saw the front door open she opened Camila’s door so the girl could get in. ‘Getting presents huh?’ she said with a smirk, ‘aren’t you kind of late?’ she finished and Camila sighed audibly, ‘Yeah I know, I wasn’t.. feeling up to it’ Camila told her but it sounded more like a question. Normani decided to let it be and climbed back into the driver’s seat.

Once they arrived at the mall the two of them went separate ways to get it over with as soon as possible. It took Normani ten minutes to finish so she waited for Camila at the entrance of the mall, a short twenty minutes later Camila arrived with three full bags. Normani was already wondering while she waited how she was going to hold the bags but she handled it pretty smart, she hung them on the grip of her left crutch. Normani laughed at the sight of the smaller girl and took the bags of her crutch ‘you dork’ she told her with a chuckle.

Once they wear seated in the car again Normani turned back to Camila again ‘so what did you get’ she asked with a grin, and Camila just smiled ‘I will tell you’ she started ‘but not now’. Normani groaned and playfully pushed the girl ‘you tease’. It didn’t take them long to get back to Camila’s, when she arrived back home it was 11:30 so she was just on time, the five of them are probably preparing the lunch right now so it was the perfect opportunity for Camila to secretly put the gifts underneath the tree. She closed the front door as silent as possible after waving at Normani, she hung the bags on the grip of her crutch again before she walked into the living room. She peaked her head around to corner to check if no one was around and to her luck everyone was in the kitchen. She quickly dropped her crutches and hopped towards the Christmas tree while holding the tree bags full of gifts, she let herself fall to her knees and quickly placed the presents underneath the tree.