CHAPTER ONE: HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT, PART TWO

I

THE SWORD AND SICKLE

PART TWO: DECEPTION

CHAPTER ONE

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT

© 2017, Olan L. Smith

Chief Detective Wescott went over to Greta's desk and said, "The Director wants you in my office while he talks to my wife." Assistant Detective Greta complied immediately. The Director had never asked her to help him in an interview, in fact she had never heard of him interrogating anyone, usually he had someone do it for him. She tapped on the door and entered. She walked in the room and stood next to the director.

"Good, Assistant Chief Detective Bastion, I assume you know Louise. I asked you in, to help make her feel more comfortable while I ask her a few questions. Anything you hear us talk about is strictly top-secret. Do you understand?"

Greta replied, "Yes sir."

Director Morgan sat down across from Mrs. Wescott to make her feel more comfortable. "I am sure you are wondering why on earth I wanted to talk to you, and why it is a matter of national security."

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. My husband never tells me anything about his work, sir; so I have no information about anything, let alone anything that is important to national security. I am just a simple housewife who enjoys her grandchildren."

"Mrs. Wescott, today you called your husband, why?"

"Occasionally, Director, I call my husband to chat. Is that against the rules?"

"No..., of course not...that is not why I am asking. Every question I ask you is vital to our national security, no matter how insignificant it may sound."

"Do I need a lawyer?"

Assistant Detective Greta replied, "That is your right, Louise."

Director Morgan quickly added, "That is not necessary. You are not a suspect, just a person of interest, and again I say it is a matter of national security."

"I am most welling to help the country, sir. I just don't see how I can help you."

"Let me decide that. Now, why did you call your husband, and leave out nothing? That includes your emotions."

"Well, let me see." I just finished eating a late breakfast when I felt the urge to call him."

"What do you mean, urge?"

"Well, if you must know, I was horny and wanted to talk to him, but when he answered the feeling left me. So, I felt silly and just asked him anything that came to mind. I just finished a glass of milk and that was on my mind. So, I asked him to bring home a gallon of milk and then I remembered we had another gallon in the refrigerator, so I told him to forget it."

"Were you thinking of your husband before you had this, uh, feeling?"

"Not really, I was thinking of the words I heard in my sleep the other night."

"And what did you hear?"

"You know, everybody knows."