Troye VI

WARNING: TRIGGERING

Over the weekend, Joey and I had a lot of talks with Sam about whether he wanted to move schools and, after he admitted that he did, where he wanted to go. Poor Sam was very emotional about the whole thing. He told us he'd tried so hard to fit in and make friends. It made our hearts break to hear how upset he was.

"Dad, why didn't they like me?" He asked quietly. I went to sit beside him on his bed, pulling him in for a hug. 

"I don't know, buddy. But hopefully it will be better for you at Pinewood." We'd finally made the decision to move him to Pinewood where I was working.

"Sam, there's always going to be people who don't like you. But as long as you be yourself, you'll find people who do like you." Joey told him from his spot perched against Sam's desk.

"Really?"

"Sure. Joey and I both went through a lot growing up, with people not liking us. But eventually, we made friends who we're still in touch with today."

"Do you think I'll make friends like that?" Sam's voice was so quiet and vulnerable, I had to hug him tighter. I hated that my son was having to go through this.

"Of course you will. Because you're a wonderful boy, Sam. You just have to find the right people." I promised him and Joey nodded.

"Sam, Troye and I promise that you will make friends, no matter what we have to do to help you, okay?"

"Thanks, Joey." Sam finally hugged me back.

"You feeling a bit better now?" I asked him and he nodded.

"Yeah. I think so. When will I start at Pinewood?"

"I'm going to talk to the headmistress first thing Monday morning and we'll pull you out of Oak Park too. You don't have to go back there at all."

"But I've got things in my locker."

"We'll go in another day to get them, so you don't have to see the other kids again."

"Okay." Sam chewed on his bottom lip for a moment before he spoke up again. "C-can I have some time alone? Please?"

"Sure. We'll be downstairs when you want us, okay?" Joey said, seeing that I was going to argue. He stood up from his spot and took my hand. Reluctantly, I let go of Sam and stood up too, following Joey out of the room. In the hallway, I let Joey pull me into a tight hug and I buried my face against his collarbone.

"I hate this, Joey." I mumbled and he nodded.

"I know. I do too." He gently kissed the top of my head. "Here, let's go and get a start on dinner. Maybe it'll distract us."

"'Kay." I hugged him tighter for a moment before letting go and following him down to the kitchen. On the way, Joey stopped in the living room where Jess was watching TV. He reminded her to finish her homework and told her that dinner was on it's way.

In the kitchen, we worked together to make a meal for our family. It was something we had grown to love; just working together in peace and enjoying the simple things.

We were almost done when we heard a dull crash from upstairs. In almost perfect sync, Joey and I looked up at the ceiling and back at each other for an instant before running up the stairs to Sam's room where the sound had come from. I was just in front of Joey so when I pushed open the door, for a moment, everything seemed normal until I took a step further in and saw Sam's blood-smeared arm stretched out on the floor beside his bed.

I let out a scream and rushed over to my son, pulling his head into my lap and stroking his hair.

"Sam. Sammy. Wake up, Sam. Sam." I pleaded with him, feeling Joey sit beside me. He  already had his phone pressed to his ear, talking to the 911 operator.