Troye XIX

"How is it without Jacob around?" I asked Connor as we walked towards our cars after work. It was now three days since Jacob had left for Paris and Connor had been looking pretty down about it. I'd been trying to keep his spirits up to no prevail so far.

"I'm still wrapping my head around it. We haven't been apart for more than a night since we got married." He sighed, fumbling for his keys.

"It's only a month. He'll be back before you know it."

"I know. I just miss him, is all."

"I get it. As much as it sounds stupid, I missed Joey for the first couple months when we separated."

"It doesn't sound stupid. He was the love of your life. Of course, you missed him. Especially since it was such a sudden thing for you."

"Alright." I grinned at him. "We're still on for tomorrow, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it." I'd invited him over for dinner at my place the next night so he had something to do to take his mind off of Jacob for a bit. I'd also asked a few of our colleagues that we'd become friends with and organised for Sam and Jess to stay with Penny at Connor's house.

"Good. Now don't spend tonight moping. Get stuff done." I briefly hugged him goodbye before he hopped into his car, waving at me and pulling out into the road.

--------------------

"I miss him, Troye." Connor moaned to me after our colleagues had left. It had been a good night but I think Connor had had a few too many drinks. He was flopped on the sofa in my living room and had been telling me how much he missed Jacob for the last hour.

"I know."

"He didn't call today."

"He's busy. You said yourself; today was a big one."

"But he always calls." Connor pouted and threw an arm over his eyes.

"I don't know what you want me to do, Connor."

"I wanna go home..." He mumbled.

"Alright. Get up then, I'll drive you."

"I can drive."

"The hell you can. I'm not letting you drive in that state." I took his keys from where he'd left them on the hallway table. "I've got to pick up Sam and Jess anyway."

"Fine." He managed to stand up and stumble over to me, letting me lead him out to the car.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay to look after Penny tonight? Maybe I should take her for the night?" I asked him when we were on the road.

"Why?"

"You're drunk, Connor. And in the morning you'll be hung over."

"No..."

"Yeah, you will." I sighed and glanced over at him. "You know what? We're staying with you. Jess can sleep in Penny's room and Sam can share the guest room with me."

"But..."

"No arguing," I told him firmly. He just sighed and flopped back into his seat. He was silent for the rest of the trip.

When we got to his house, I pulled into the driveway behind Jacob's car and hopped out quickly to help him into the house. He draped his arm over my shoulders and stumbled along beside me to the front door.

"Where are your keys?" I asked.

"Mm..." He thought for a moment before giggling. "In my jacket."