7 | Not For Long

“I told you so." Madeline said over the phone a few months later when she came to know Adrian and I are not together anymore.

“You were right. ” I admitted as I walk around the manor, not knowing what to do.

“Finally, you've said it. You made my day.” Maddy said happily while I just stared blankly at the tree outside. Memories flooding back when I look at it.

Adrian and I had planted it ourselves. A memory of us, he'd said. It had beautiful tiny flowers all over the top. It had a orange-gold-ish color to it. When the wind would blow it, it's like snow. Adrian and I would kiss under it.

I shake my head to get rid of the thought of him. We're divorced. He has no part in my life. Ugh, he's my other half.

Did I do the right thing by leaving him?

“Adrian's a cheater. I've always known it. I'm glad you're not blinded anymore.” Maddy laughed over the phone, breaking me out of my thoughts.

“I got to go.” I tell her, hanging up. My stomach grumbles and I was about to enter the kitchen, but I stop myself.

The kitchen holds so much memories of us. We'd cook together, have food fights, and we'd make love.

Why'd I choose the manor again? The manor holds memories of us. I feel like I'm torturing myself.

I went inside anyway and grab the bread, putting it into the toaster. I get the peanut butter and try to open it but it wouldn't budge. A memory comes into mind:

"Open up.” I muttered, turning the cap of the peanut butter.

I tried opening it up for five minutes when suddenly it was snatched from my hold and I looked up to see Adrian holding it. He opened it with no problem and handed it back to me as if leaned on the counter beside me.

“What would you do without me? You'd probably starve to death.” He said, looking at me with a hint of a smile.

I took out the bread from the toaster and swiped peanut butter onto the bread.

“Then I'm lucky to have you. I can't live without you.” I smiled at him. He leaned in for a kiss and I swiped peanut butter on his nose before running off.

     I drop the bottle and sigh. I can live without him, anyway. I grab a cucumber and cleaned it before chopping it into small circles. I'm going to eat this.

         ***

Two years later, I walked on the beach of Pearl Island. On this island lies a resort. Pearl resort. The very resort Adrian gave me because he just doesn't care.

“Miss Claire, our customer from Las Vegas should be arriving any minute.” An employee informs me since I like welcoming them to the resort.

     I went to the dock and waited as the boat stops its engine. The customer steps out of the boat and-

“You look like you just saw a ghost.” Adrian said casually.

    Is this some frickin dream? I hope it is.

“I thought I said I didn't want to see you anymore. ” I state, narrowing my eyes at him.

“I as well; but seems like we have to deal with it.” He steps closer to me. He keeps walking closer and I keep stepping back.

    I step back and almost fall into the deep water if he didn't save me. His arms were around my waist, holding me as he gazed into my eyes. I wanted so badly to hug him and tell him how i missed him.