14 | Not For Long

JOSH POV

     I found my best friend laying in the hammock all alone as she watched her ex husband talk with some guys by the beach. She looked so pale.

    I watch as she started coughing endlessly, sitting up.

    “Are you sick?” I ask her, walking over to her.

Belle shakes her head, breathing heavily.

    “I'm fine-” She coughs.

    I cock a brow at her. She looks back at Adrian and I knew she wanted to talk to him.

    “Go talk to him.” I suggest.

     She coughed again and I started getting very worried for her.

     “I'm taking you to the hospital.” I tell her.

She says, “No! I'm fine.”

      I ignore her and asked an employee who was passing by to get the boat ready.

      I'm taking her to the hospital myself.

                  ***

“She has asthma. ” Doctor Quinn informed me. I see Belle staring at the wall.

“I'll give you her inhaler okay? ” And then she walks off to get Belle's inhaler.

       I look at Belle and she shrugs. When Quinn hands Belle her inhaler, Belle had to say,“So, do I get a candy?”

I chuckle. "What? Are you five?"

She smiles at the doctor. "So doctor?"

Doctor Quinn smiles at her before handing her a tootsie lollypop that made Belle grin madly despite being asthmatic.

              ***

Two days later, Rhea and I visited Belle on the mainland in her mansion. She made us sit in the dining room because she wanted to be the one to serve us coffee.

She sets our coffee in front of us and sits down across from us.

“You guys look cute together. ” She gushed.

And like always Rhea would blush.

“How are you?” Rhea asked.

“I'm doing fine.” She answered.

We talked for a little before Belle decided to bring out her homemade cookies. She stood up to go and midway, she stopped and dropped to the floor. I bolted out of chair, running to her side.

“Rhea, call the ambulance! ” I tell Rhea who then took her phone out.

I pick up Belle, worrying about her. My best friend better be fine.

                ADRIAN

Maddy stood on the dock awkwardly when I approached her. She's the reason I lost my wife.

"What?" I ask impatiently and coldly.

"Can we talk?" She asked.

"Isn't that what we're doing?" I ask.

"Look, I came here to apologize. It was all my fault. I'm the reason you and Belle are divorced. I'm sorry." She confessed.

I was going to say something but then an employee came to me informing me about Belle.