Birthday Boy

Calum wasn't here in the morning when I woke up, which was weird. There wasn't even a note on his bedside table like there usually is if he leaves unexpectedly. He didn't have work today, that's what he said yesterday night at least. If things changed, he would've told me when I got home or maybe he would've woken me up this morning to tell me. I quickly check my phone. He had sent me a text.

Calum ❤️
I'll be back soon babe. I just had to get a couple of things for the party.

I heave a sigh of relief. He'll be back soon. Everything's okay. As if Carter sensed that I was awake, the door to my room bursts open and my son comes rushing in, squealing in delight. "Momma!" He shouts, launching himself onto the bed. I laugh and pull him into my arms, kissing his forehead, cheeks and nose. "It's my birthday! It's my birthday! It's my birthday!" He continues to shout, bouncing up and down happily once I let go of him. He stops when he sees the empty side of the bed. "Where's daddy?"

"He'll be back soon baby. He said he was getting something for your party." Carter smiles happily.

"I hope he gets back soon." He says, flopping down onto the mattress to sit. "I don't want him to miss anything."

"He won't, I promise. Now, what does my birthday boy want for breakfast?" Carter beams.

"Chocolate!" He shouts.

"Chocolate chip pancakes it is." Together, the two of us get out of bed and head to the kitchen, hand in hand.

-------

The party was in full swing, and Calum wasn't back yet. It started at twelve so I wasn't that worried that Calum wouldn't show up in time. He had four hours after all. I texted him back asking him where he was and then I tried calling him but I was sent straight to voicemail. Either he had his phone off or he saw that I was calling and... But Calum doesn't do that. Even when he's driving that idiot answers when I call.

I finished prepping for the party with Carter's help. We decorated the house with streams and balloons and a banner and I pulled the coolers out of the hallway closet and filled them with ice and an assortment of sodas and beer. There was another, smaller cooler the kids could dig through that had juice pouches and things inside of it. It didn't even occur to me that I should be worried about Calum until after I had finished icing Carter's cake, set all the food out for the party, and he still wasn't back. It was nearly twelve. The first guests would soon start arriving. God I hoped I had enough chairs in the living room and on the small balcony.

The first people to arrive were Maria, Daniel and their kids. Hazel and Carter immediately ran off to his room together to play with something and J.J cooed in Maria's arms as I said hello to them. "Where Calum?" Daniel asked, glancing around the room.

"Oh he's out getting something for the party. He should be back soon." I said with a smile, trying to pretend that Calum hadn't left five hours ago and hadn't returned. After their arrival, more and more people started showing up. Lance and Charlotte. Mali and Leo. Some of Carter's daycare friends. Jackie. My parents. Calum's parents. Jake and Ella. Drew, Alex and their daughter. The house was noisy. The house was packed and more people were still set to arrive. But more importantly, two hours into the party, Calum still hadn't come home. Everyone was asking for him.

"Why do you have so much beer Lily?" Mike asked, opening the cooler and pulling one out. I shrugged.

"Calum bought a bunch. I assumed it was for all of you." I said gesturing over to my brother, Lance, Drew, Leo and the rest of the adults in the small apartment.