Something Borrowed

Fours Years Previously

Cocktail hour was over, everyone was being seated in the reception hall and I was anxious to see it. I mean, I'd seen it sure, but I hadn't seen it full of people. The bridal party was restlessly moving around and joking with one another as we waited for our cue to walk or I guess dance in kind of. We had barely rehearsed this part because none of our friends could stand still enough to walk in like regular people and plus, they all just think they're so goddamn funny.

"Stop looking so stiff Lily." Mike said, coming up to us.

"Don't tell my wife what to do." Calum said half indignantly, half jokingly. Mike grinned.

"Dude, you've been married for like two hours, chill out."

"We will not chill out." I said stubbornly, looping my arm through Calum's. "We're in Love." Mike pretended to gag.

"You two make me sick." Jackie agreed, walking up and leaning against Mike. "True Love is bullshit."

"You're bullshit." Maria said, elbowing her. Having already been married, Maria took married life really serious. Jackie stuck her tongue out at her and I shook my head. Charlotte called out,

"Hey, quiet everyone. I think I hear our cue." Everyone fell silent, and sure enough, the DJ was playing the song we had picked out for the wedding party entrance. We all got back in order and I watched as my parents walked out first, our son in their arms. I heard everyone cheer and clap seeing them. Carter squealed in delight and I felt a pang of desire, wanting him to be by our side.

"It's okay." Calum said, grabbing my hand and lacing our fingers together as everyone began to walk out.

I kind of forgot that as soon as Calum and I walk out, we go straight into our first dance. So when the DJ said, "Now for Lily and Calum Hood's first dance as a married couple." I began to panic again. Calum held his hand out to me, a broad smile on his face. I was a little nervous though. We had taken dancing lessons; I didn't want to look like a complete idiot on the dance floor, but Calum hadn't seemed to take it as seriously as I had.

"Worried?" He asked as our song began to play. It was Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran. The song came out when we were in high school. We listened to that entire album together and both of us agreed that Tenerife Sea was our favorite.

"About what?" I whispered as he pulled me into his arms.

"That I'm going to step on your toes." I smile.

"You better not." Calum laughed as we moved across the floor. The two of us purposefully learned how to waltz because I didn't want to just sway back and forth on the dance floor like an idiot. Calum stepped on my feet a lot when we were first practicing. As we danced, I managed to get a good look at the reception hall. It was even better than I anticipated. The canopy was beautiful and the lights that ran along the top illuminated the whole area in a wonderful way. I squeezed Calum's hand tightly. Everything was perfect.

"You look beautiful." Calum murmured to me.

"I know." He laughed, spinning me around before catching me in his arms again. Everyone applauded us as the song slowly came to a close.

We were seated at the long bridal table, Calum and I were front and center which made me nervous so I fiddled with the cutlery in front of me until Calum grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles."What are you worried about?" He asked lightly, a small smile on his lips. I shrugged staring out at all the people in the hall.

"I dunno. Just being center of attention for a whole day is weird." Plus I didn't have Carter. I looked over to our parents now. Carter seemed pretty preoccupied with my dad, playing some kind of game but it made me anxious having him so far away, even though I know my parents will take good care of him.