Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

I ran up to Joey and hugged him. He's alive. My Joey's alive.

"I love you Joey, with all my heart, I am truly, madly in love with you."

"Sawyer..." He looks shocked, but starts to cry. "I love you too!"

We both lean in to kiss. As our lips touch I feel an amazing sensation go through me. It's better then all the other kisses I've had. He's better.

I sit down on the chair next to his bed, holding his hand.He still looks really nervous.

"Joey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just a bit ... on edge" He says

"Oh, listen about yesterd-"

"I don't want to talk about it." He cuts me off "I don't want to think about it, I just want to go home and forget about it. It's bad enough I have to re-live it in my dreams."

I feel really sorry for Joey, hating to see what you are constantly reminded of. But he will pull through, he's strong. We will make it through this, together.

"Mr. Hartman, may I speak to you outside?" Eileen asks

"Joey, you gonna be okay? I'll be back soon."

"I'll be fine."

I follow Eileen out of the room.

"How is he alive? I thought he was dead." That's what has puzzled me.

"He just fell unconscious." She answers

"Is he going to be okay?"

"He will be fine, if things in his life stay calm, including your relationship. Be supportive. He has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder."

"Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?" I've never heard of it.

"Yes, he will re-experience the event often in dreams in which case you will need to calm him and hold him. He will want to avoid being reminded of the event, so do not wear the same clothes you did yesterday and stop yourself and others from talking about it when he's around. Also he will be hyperarousal and find it difficult to relax, I advise keeping him at home."

"Is that it?" I ask.

"Keep him away from alcohol and drugs, also make him feel loved and supported." She adds

"I intended to, when can he leave?"

"He can go home today."

"Oh, that's great, thank you so much."

"No problem, just do what I told you and bring him back for weekly appointments."

"Okay."

I walk back into Joey's room and sit down next to him again.

"They say you can go home." I tell him

"Then let's go."

We walk home. Even if we had my car, I don't think Joey would want to get in it. We get home and Hitch immediately runs and jumps at us. We laugh and stroke Hitch.

"I'll feed him." Joey says

"No, it's alright, you should get some rest."

"I've been lying on a hospital bed for 24 hours, I got a lot of rest," He says "In fact, you should be the one resting. Go and get your cute ass to sleep." He smiles at me, he is so perfect.

"Will do, but if you get tired, come up and join me."

"Oh, I will, I just want to do some odd jobs round the house."

"Okay, night babe" I kiss him on the cheek and I see him blush

"Night."

I walk upstairs and go into my room. That night I find really hard to sleep - not knowing whether Joey is okay or not. Eventually I feel him slip into my arms and I hold him tight.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He's alive! Yay! But now the relationship begins and Joey is post-traumatically stressed... As always, tell me what you think in the comments, I would really appreciate feedback, even if it's negative. In fact especially if it's negative! tHaNk YoU fOr ReAdInG!!!