Langst Thirteen - Monster

He was a monster.

He thought Keith was the only one.

He thought a lot of things, imagined a lot of things, but never this.

Lance stared at the fluffy galra ears protruding from the sides at his head. He reached a hand up and felt them. They twitched back at his touch. He saw his own ears, his human ears, had gone.

"Lance, hurry up! We need to train in five minutes!" Pidge yelled through his door. Lance took a deep breath, grabbed his helmet, and walked out the door.

"Finally! We were waiting all morning." Keith glared at Lance for a second. "Why do you have your helmet on?"

"Uh, no reason!" Lance laughed nervously and drew his Bayard. "Well, let's start training!" Shiro gave him an odd look, but shook his head.

"Alright, team. We're starting with the gladiator. We've improved a lot since last time, but we still need to focus on teamwork." Lance and Keith glances at each other out of habit.

"Team training level six initiated." The computer commented. Two gladiators rose out of the floor and attacked. Lance grinned and fired at one. It fell to the floor for a moment. Before it could recover, Keith sliced its head off.

"Nice job, Red!" Lance gave Keith a thumbs up. Keith smiled slightly, then his eyes widened and his jaw set to the side.

"Lance, duck!" Hunk yelled. Lance spun around. The other gladiator swung at his head, almost knocking his helmet off. Hunk and Shiro took it down, but it didn't sink through the floor in defeat until Pidge stabbed it.

"Awesome job!" Shiro complimented. He smiled warmly at everyone and pulled his helmet off. He wiped his forehead and put it back on. "Everyone ready for the next level?"

"You know it." Lance grinned.

"Team training level seven initiated." The computer notified. Two higher level bots rose from the floor and began to attack. Pidge and Hunk took down the first one through a combination of heavy cannon blasts and tripwire. Shiro used his arm to slice off one of the gladiator's arms, but it didn't fall under the floor until Keith sliced it apart. Lance had assisted both teams by providing covering fire.

"Good job, team. Next level." Shiro smiled as three gladiators rose from the floor. Shiro and Pidge took on one while Hunk and Keith took on another, leaving Lance with his own. Lance smirked and fired at it multiple times, but none of his shots injured it in the slightest.

"Pidge, be careful!" Keith shouted. Lance turned his head slightly to see Pidge dodging the gladiator. He smiled and focused back on his combatant. He shot it once in the shoulder slid under its legs and shot it from the back.

Its fall into the area under the floor was so satisfying, Lance didn't even notice when his helmet slid off his head.

"L-Lance?" Hunk gasped. Lance's ears twitched and pirked up as his name was called. He remembered suddenly what he had tried to hide that morning.

"I-I.... I'm sorry!" Lance yelled. He grabbed his helmet and rushed away from the training deck, the rest of the team in tow.

How could he have forgotten?! It was the worst and weirdest thing that had happened to him...

"Lance, come back!" Keith yelled. He was gaining on Lance, getting closer every second. The Cuban/galran boy turned and ran into the hangar of the blue lion. He panted and sat down just under blue's mouth. She purred and activated her particle barrier to shield him. Keith caught up with him before the barrier closed completely, and he slid under to join Lance just as it reached the floor.

"P-Please go away!" Lance gasped. Keith stared at his ears.

"Are you part Galra, too?"

"I..."

Keith smiled comfortingly at Lance. "What are the odds?"

"So, you don't, hate me?"

"I would be the universe's biggest hypocrite if I did." Keith ran his fingers through his hair. "If you were any alien race, I would've expected Altean. But Galra..."

"It was... Surprising." Lance admitted. He plopped down on the floor and Keith quickly followed suit. "I woke up this morning with fuzzy ears. I knew you were part galra, but this had never happened to you."

Keith chuckled. He was right.

"Lance, please open the particle barrier." Hunk asked, his voice slightly muffled through the barrier. Lance sighed and asked his lion to open it. Hunk stumbled over to Lance.

"Hey, um, Hunk." Lance muttered. He scratched the back of his head. Keith rolled his eyes and ruffled his brown hair. Lance hissed and scooted away.

"Same old Lance." Hunk laughed. "I just... I want you to know something. I know that the Galra are our enemy and all... But we accepted Keith. We'll love you too."

"Speak for yourself." He heard Allura mutter. His ears flattened against his head as the princess approached.

"Hey, uh, Allura." Lance smiled nervously.

"I... Hello, Lance." Allura was suppressing a glare. "I understand that you're... You're like Keith."

"Sort of." Lance flashed her a toothy grin and waggled his ears. Allura giggled.

°•° Time Skip °•°

Lance pulled the bright blue child away from the galra soldier, simultaneously shooting and shielding.

"Thank you, paladin!" The tiny bit shouted as the last sentries fell. Lance smiled and accepted the hug he offered. Suddenly, someone screamed.

"Monster! Get him away from my son!" A bright purple alien woman ran forward and snatched the child from Lance.

"Mama! It's a paladin! Blue paladin!" The child yelled. The woman stared at his armor for a moment. Her eyes gravitated to his games ears.

"He's only a monster to me."

A/N - That was a little worse than usual. Any requests?