Chapter 37

General POV

Toby woke up to an empty bed. He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Spence?" Toby quickly got up and looked around.

He walked over to the bathroom and saw Spencer sitting on the floor with her head buried in her knees.

"Spence?" He said while crouching beside her. "Whatcha doing?"

She shrugged and lifted her head.

He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head.

"He literally just started acting like a dad and then..." Spencer sobbed.

"I know. I know."

"Will it ever get better?"

"It will, Spence. I promise, it will."

*3 weeks later*

Spencer was still completely and utterly broken. The first week after her father died was the hardest. Even though they didn't have the best relationship, it still hurt. She skipped that week of school.

The second week is when she decided to try and get back into her old ways. For example, going to school. She didn't really make an effort in her clothing, though. Throughout school days though it was mainly people who she barely knew telling her that they were sorry for her loss or told her it would get better.

She really hated that.

She hated people pitying her.

Toby stayed with her most nights but some nights she told him to go home. She wanted to be alone; sometimes.

The third week of school was practically the same as the second except this time she saw Alison in the halls again. When Spencer walked by she always seemed to smirk at her; Yvonne too. Spencer usually wouldn't use the word hate against people but in these circumstances, it's different.

She hates them both.

Toby rarely left her side. That's one of the things she loved about him.

***

He knocked on her door three times before Mrs. Hastings answered.

"Hello Mrs. Hastings. I'm so sorry for your loss. I brought you these." He said while handing her a bouquet of flowers.

"Thank you for being so thoughtful. If you're looking for Spencer, she's upstairs." She said and pointed to the staircase.

He walked upstairs to Spencer's bedroom and knocked softly before walked in.

"Hey." He smiled.

"Oh, hi Wren. What are you doing here?" She asked while sitting up.

"I came to see how you're doing? But, it's a stupid question to ask. Cause I know you're not doing okay and that you're still hurting." He said lightly while sitting beside her.

"How would you know that?" She asked.

"My mother died when I was about ten." He sighed.

"Oh, I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, spence. You don't have to apologise. I know it feels like it will never get better but it does. Trust me. It does."

"It just hurts so much. It feels like a part of my heart has been taken. He'd finally started acting like a real father and then..." she started to tear up and she dropped her head onto Wrens shoulder.

"Hey, its okay. You can cry." He cooed and rubbed her back.

"Thank you." She smiled quickly.

"For what?"

"For being a great friend." She breathed. "Do you want to stay and watch a movie or something?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." She said while climbing to the back of the bed. "Come on." She patted the seat beside her indicating for him to sit.

"Okay." He smiled and moved up beside her.

***

At the end of the movie Spencer turned on the lamp beside her bed again. Spencer hadn't noticed that Wren had set his hand on her thigh. Until now.

She coughed lightly and indicated with her eyes to his hand.

"Oh, sorry." He said and slowly moved his hand away.

"It's okay."

Wren quicker glanced at the time and sighed.

"I'm gonna have to go."

"Aww, why? Can't you stay a little longer? Please." She begged.

"I'd love too. But I gotta get to the hospital."

"Okay. But can we do this again sometime? It was really nice." Spencer smiled.

"Totally."

"Promise me?"

"I promise we will do this again." He laughed and walked towards her door. "Bye Spencer."

"Bye Wren." She giggled.

***

Melissa knocked on Spencer's door a few times before walking in.

"Spencer, you got some post. It looks like..."