Chapter 36

General POV

"But... your father was in a car accident. He's been rushed into hospital. We're not sure whether he'll make it or not."

Spencer dropped her phone.

"Oh my god."

She quickly grabbed her phone again, grabbed her keys and rushed down to the Hospital.

She ran into the waiting room where she saw her mother already sitting.

"Mum... what happened? Is he okay?"

"He's in surgery... they don't know whether... whether he'll make it..." her mother cried.

Spencer had only seen her mother cry a few times. Seeing her like this made tears fall from Spencer's eyes too.

Spencer hugged her mother tightly for a few minutes before speaking up again.

"Where's Melissa?" She asked.

"In Philly. She's on her way here now."

Around an hour later Melissa arrived and sat next to them.

"Where is he? Is he okay?" Melissa asked.

"He's in surgery." Spencer half-whispered. "They... they don't know if he'll make it."

"Oh my god. How's..."

"She's trying. Trying to stay strong for us I guess."  Spencer sighed.

"You... you should call Toby, Spencer. He'd want to know you're here." Spencer's mother concluded.

"No... it's fine." Spencer sighed.

She really wanted, no, needed, to call Toby but she didn't want it to upset her mother anymore and, also, she didn't want him over-worrying about her.

"Spencer." Melissa whispered. "She's trying to help. She's your mother she can tell when you need something. Call him."

Spencer just nodded and walked over to a corner to call Toby.

It rang a few times before he answered. "Hello? Spencer?"

"Tobes..." was all she managed to get out.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"It's my Dad... he got into a car accident... he's in surgery right now but they don't know If... they don't know if..."

"Hey, it's okay. Do you want me to come down?"

"Yes." She sighed and wiped a few of her tears.

"I'll be there in ten." And with that the line went dead.

As she was walking back over she heard someone calling her name.

She turned round and saw Wren. She smiled lightly at him.

"I heard there was a Hastings here. Is it your father?" He asked.

She nodded and didn't speak.

He wrapped his arms around her small frame and she let a few tears fall onto his neck as they stood there.

After a few minutes Spencer stepped back and sighed.

"Why does it seem like every time I see you I'm crying?"

"Well, maybe we'll just have to arrange a time to meet when you're not crying." Wren chuckled.

"Yeah." She smiled.

She wrapped her arms around his neck once again and whispered in his ear. "Thank you."

"Spencer?" Toby asked as he walked over to her.

"Hey Tobes." She said while walking into his open arms.

Toby couldn't help notice the way Spencer and Wren were standing but he decided to ignore it for now.

"What happened?" Toby asked.

Spencer shook her head and stood back.

"I'll call you later?" Wren asked Spencer.

"Sure." She nodded.

Wren smiled at Spencer before walking off.

"What was that about?"

"Oh, uh, he was just comforting me."

Toby was going to press the matter more but saw Spencer's puffy eyes and sighed.

"What happened? Is you father alright?"

"He's in surgery..." she shrugged.

"Do you want to go sit down?" Toby asked.

She nodded and they sat down beside Melissa.

"Hey Toby." She said.

"Hi."

Spencer sat in between Toby's legs and buried her head in his neck.

They were sitting in the waiting room for a few more hours or so.

"How you feeling?" Toby asked Spencer.

"I'm fine."

"Spence-"

"Are you Mrs. Hastings?" Someone asked Spencer's mother.

"Yes. How's Peter? Is he okay?" She asked standing up.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Hastings, he didn't make it." He sighed and looked down.

Veronica let out a sob and turned to Melissa.

"Toby-" Spencer said with tears rolling down her face.

Spencer buried her head into Toby's chest. He didn't know what to say. So he just didn't say anything.

***

"Spencer, do you want anything? Food? Coffee?" Toby asked while her head lay on Toby's lap.

She just shook her head and closed her eyes again.

He continued to stroke her hair while they just sat there.

It had been a few hours since they were at the hospital. A few hours since Spencer found out her father died.

Tears continued to fall down Spencer's face and Toby could feel them land on his lap.

***

After a few hours Spencer finally sat up and wiped away a few of the tears on her cheeks.

"Spence..." Toby didn't know what to say. He wanted to ask her if she was okay or how she was holding up but that didn't seem appropriate. Not yet at least.

She just shrugged her shoulders and pulled her knees up to her chest.

"You can go you know. You don't have to stay." Spencer said quietly.

"No, I'll stay. I don't want to leave you. Only if you want me to go, of course."

"Could you stay the night?" Spencer asked not looking up from her hands.

"Of course." He said and kissed her temple. "Now do want anything?"

She shook her head.

"Spence, it's been hours since you last ate. Are you sure you're not hungry?"

She nodded her head.

"Okay... do.... do you want to talk about it Spencer?" He asked.

She shook her head again.

Toby placed his hand under her chin and lifted her head up. He saw her watery eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"Come here Spence." Toby said and brought her into his warm imbrace. "Everything's gonna be alright, Spence."

"I don't think it is." She cried.