Chapter 1: First Encounter

Here we go again...

I sighed as I entered the newly painted apartment my parents rented for me here in Busan. I was from Gang Won Do. It was not big and spacious; it was small and cozy. It was perfect for someone who lives alone and someone who always moves. Yes, I always MOVE.

It’s like the thirteenth time we’ve moved. Or, I’ve moved. See, my parents work abroad, and they come home not so often. They would provide me the money I needed for my everyday needs, and also for my studies. I don’t even get why I always moved. Maybe...I wanted a place to call home. Somewhere I want someone to take care of me...

The last time I checked, our relatives didn’t want to entertain me because they looked at me as a burden. The reason is, I was the product of a love that stood against all odds. Mom’s and Dad’s families didn’t want them for each other. But they married each other anyway, and eloped. Sixteen years ago, Kang Shin Min was born. And that would be me...

Me? Alone and lonely. I have no family, if you consider the fact that they are away. But I don’t hold any grudges. I know they are working for my sake. They are the only ones that love me.

I was cut off of my selfish daydreaming when I heard a knock on my door. What? Why was someone knocking? Maybe they were welcoming me or something... I walked to the door and opened it. I was surprised to see a cute guy smiling at me. Whoa! He looked so angelic! He had light brown hair and a warm smile. He was wearing a grey shirt and cardigans.

“Yes? Can I help you?” I asked questioningly. The guy smiled, and held out his hand for a friendly handshake.

“Hello! I’m Kevin. It’s nice to meet you! You’re new here aren’t you? I live right across the street from here...see?” he rambled, pointing to the door in front of my apartment. I grinned.

“Across the street? We’re on the third floor Kevin,” I said, laughing softly.

“Haha~ I just said that to know if you can laugh!” he replied smiling, his eyes smaller because of his cheekbones.

“Laugh? Why is that? Don’t we have neighbours here who know how to laugh?” I asked, wondering. I felt nice inside, talking to him with this warm atmosphere, as if we have known each other for so long already.

“Everyone here is nice! I just checked up on you to see if the new neighbour was nice as well...by the way, what’s your name? I’ve introduced myself already right?”

“Oh, sorry. It was so rude of me...I’m Kang Shin Min, Kevin~oppa,” I nervously laughed.

“Aigoo~ you’re so cute Shin Min~ah!! Do you still need help in there? Don’t hesitate to ask help from me or my brother okay?” he smiled, slightly peeking inside my door.

I shook my head and smiled before replying.

“No, everything’s okay. Do you want to come inside for a drink?” I asked.

“Sure.”

After I led Kevin inside for a cup of coffee, we talked about each other and we realized I was going to the same school as him. I also found out that he had a stepbrother with him living in his apartment. His brother was also studying in the same university.

Talking with Kevin~oppa was nice, the feeling of earning a friend was heart-warming. I never really had friends before, because I was always the new girl on the block. I never made any effort to make friends anyway. The pain of knowing people and leaving them afterwards was so...painful. As I remembered that, I decided to end my conversation with Kevin. I didn’t want to be too close to him. And it was awfully getting late. My first day at school was tomorrow. I needed some rest after my travel today.

“Sorry oppa, but I think we should rest now. It’s getting pretty late. Thanks for the nice conversation.” I smiled as I led him to the door.

“Aww, you’re throwing me out already Shin Min?” he showed me a cute pout and some puppy dogeyes. I laughed at his face.

“No, really, it’s getting late Kevin, you should rest now as well. I bet your brother is looking for you.” I replied bluntly, opening the door for him to go out. I wasn’t really throwing him out. My eyes were starting to get droopy anyway.

“I was kidding Shin Min~ah,” he laughed and pinched my cheek before going out. I smiled at him and waved goodbye. As I was about to close the door, he managed to stop me just in time. “Goodnight, Shin Min...and don’t forget to smile, okay?” he voiced softly.

I nodded in agreement. “Goodnight.”

I sighed as I closed the door. I stared at the floor for a moment and thought about what he just said. “Smile huh, I haven’t done that in a while. Thanks for reminding.” I said.

Finally, some rest. I started walking towards my bed when I heard a knock again. Say what? Kevin~oppa is being annoying! I shook my head and grinned a little, then walked back to the entrance.

“I thought you already said goodnight,” I said while I opened the door, not looking at the person outside. “...oppa?” I continued. My eyes widened in shock. It was not Kevin!! 

--

Kiseop's picture at the side ---> 

^^