Chapter 4: Walk me home

“What the hell are you doing, dongsaeng?!” Kiseop angrily exclaimed at Eli.

Dongsaeng? He must be older than that Eli guy...

“Aww, come on, leave me alone hyung! I’m just trying to extract that pretty girl’s name!” Eli pouted at Kiseop. What on earth-?! He was acting all cute all of a sudden! He was so cool and scary a minute ago but the moment Kiseop appeared, he began to act childish!

I found myself alone in the midst of confusion. Hmm...

“You know you have other ways of asking the girl her name! Can’t you see you’re scaring her by bringing those guys with you?!” Kiseop pointed at the guys behind us. The goons nervously laughed and waved farewell to Eli. Afterwards, they walked away.

“But, hyung~!” Eli pouted again.

“You could’ve asked me. I know this girl,” Kiseop told Eli.

“Really? You should have said sooner, hyung!” Eli replied.

“You never asked, Eli,” Kiseop grinned, shaking his head.

I hid behind Kiseop, still trying to keep my distance from that Eli. His aura had changed from scary to cute. This is a new encounter. All the guys I seem to be meeting are purely attractive.

“Wait a second, is she your girlfriend?” Eli suddenly asked out of nowhere.

I blushed and hid behind Kiseop. I was facing his back and the only thing missing was for me to hug him. Huh? What am I thinking!?

“Huh? What makes you say that?” Kiseop seemed to reply nervously. I could sense it in his voice.

“She’s hiding behind you,”

Kiseop turned to look at me and blushed. I looked at him and our eyes accidentally met. We blushed; but it didn’t matter. I felt like it was okay to stare at him like that. His eyes quivered and he faced Eli again.

“That’s because you scared her!” Kiseop replied.

Eli showed him a sad face. “I’m sorry, miss, but could you please tell me your name?” he asked, looking at me.

I decided to stop hiding and let him see my face. “Kang Shin Min, oppa,” I said.

Eli’s expression surprised me. He wore a blank face as he stared at me but he was obviously blushing. He hurriedly came nearer and shook my hand.

“It’s nice to meet you, Shin Min~ah,” he grinned. I nodded nervously and stole a look at Kiseop. He was smiling.

“I think, I should go now, oppa,” I said, wanting to go home. He jerked back, looked at me again and nodded.

“Thank you for telling me your name, sorry for earlier” he grinned.

I nodded and turned, ready to go home.

“I’ll walk you home,” Kiseop suddenly said. I saw Eli glare at him.

I was surprised as well. Walk me home? No one has ever walked me home before. The last time I had someone walk with me was in first grade, when Mom was still here. That was a long time ago. I nervously nodded and we both started to walk.

“Thanks for that, Kiseop,” I said.

“For Eli? Don’t worry. He’s an idiot at times but he’s a nice guy. He’s a close friend of mine. What he did to you a minute ago was what he always does to flirt with a girl.” he replied.

“Oh, I understand,” I said without thinking. It wasn’t an appropriate thing to say! He didn’t seem to notice though, that’s a good thing. I sighed with relief. I was thinking of why he was walking me home. I was a complete fool. Of course he was to walk me home! He lived in front of my house!

I expected too much. Crazy me.

“Hey, dongsaeng,” he started. I looked at him, waiting for his question. “Why aren’t you consistently calling me oppa?” he continued.

I was surprised at his question. I was inconsistent. “I think it’s too cute,” I answered, unsure.

“Cute? What’s wrong with that?”

“Well, I’m...I’m kind of...uncomfortable of calling you that,”

“Uncomfortable? You talked to me last night and you’re not feeling comfortable with me? You called Kevin and Eli ‘oppa’ without difficulty. What’s wrong with calling me that?” he said with an irritated tone.

I didn’t think he would ever ask me this question. I couldn’t tell him I was uncomfortable because I had a crush on him! That would be...suicide!

“Well, I’m kind of...” I blushed and I lowered my head. I let my bangs cover my eyes. My heart throbbed in my chest. I stopped walking and he stopped when he noticed me a meter away from him.

“Shin Min?”

“...”

I sensed him walk closer.

Should I tell him? Maybe I should.

“I...I,”

“Mianhae,” he said loudly.

“Eh?” I looked at him. He was smiling at me.

“Mianhae, you don’t have to answer that, Shin Min-ah,” he said, his voice softly piercing through my heart.

“No, you didn’t do anything wrong...”

“Come on, let’s go. Forget I ever asked that, I’m hungry,” he laughed while he walked again, his hands over his head.

I couldn’t do anything, nor say anything. I was afraid of telling him. Perhaps, I needed to know him a little more.

I watched him as he continued to walk without giving me a second glance. This is just great, Shin Min.

I followed him and thought of something to lighten the now so awkward mood.

“Uhm, what is for dinner, Kiseop~oppa?” I shyly said.

Kiseop looked at me with wonder and amazement.

Then, he smiled.

Such a beautiful sight!

I smiled back at him. I couldn’t contain the happiness I felt. This is good, I finally managed to...

“Oh, crap,” he suddenly said. I was surprised to see him so stunned.

“What’s the matter?”

“I forgot to get the keys from Kevin,”

“Oh...then let’s go back and wait for him,” I suggested even though I was hungry.

“No, we can’t. Kevin’s got his practical exam right now, and we can’t disturb him, and besides, I can’t wait for that long, I’m already hungry!” he groaned.

I put a finger down my chin and puffed my cheeks. I saw Kiseop look at me. He puffed his cheeks too! So cute!

“Hey, why don’t we,” he started plainly. “...go out for dinner?”