Chapter 4

On our way downtown Michael and I were arguing.

"Gabriella, you can't just tell me that you've never heard Def Leppord!" Michael said, slapping the steering wheel.
"I just did!" I shot back.

"Oh my god you're so deprived." He said in a calmer tone. "The first place I'm taking you to is The Spin."

"What's that exactly?" I wondered. I had been in Michael's car for five minutes and we already started fighting. He looked at me and scoffed, which was something he had mastered.

"It's the only decent music store in town. Keep up here, Princess." I hated when Michael called me a princess. He did it to get under my skin and it worked.

"I can't stand it when you call me that." I huffed and turned looked out the window.
"That's what you are!" Michael threw his hands in the air, taking them off the steering wheel for a second. "You just need so much attention it's ridiculous." "Name one time that I needed attention." "Everyday with Luke. He doesn't care, Gabriella. He cancelled on you today! You're damn lucky I can tolerate you or else you would be at home. But I came and fucking dragged your damsel in distress ass out of the castle." Every word that he said made me regret comkng. He had no right to talk to me that way. Nobody ever talked to me the way Michael just did.

"I didn't ask you to cover for him, Michael. I would've been okay with sitting at home, at least there I don't get yelled at!" Our yelling seemed to make the space in the car smaller. Every negative space was filled with our anger towards each other. "This was a mistake." I said to myself but I knew Michael heard me. By now he had pulled into McDonald's parking lot.

It was silent when he spoke again. "Stop staring at me." Michael wasn't even looking at me but yet he knew. "You don't have to say your compliment outloud this time." I never did before. But I did always have a compliment for him. The first time he accused me of staring at him all I could think about was how nice his lips were. But then again it was lunch and I was watching him eat. Now it was how cute he looked when he was angry. "I think it would be better if I took you home." He sighed and started the car. "Probably." I agreed.

When Michael stopped in front of my house we still hadn't said anything. I didn't bother thanking him for taking me nowhere. I just got out of his car and made my way to my house.

"Hey Princess!" Michael called after me. I turned around without a word, waiting to hear what he had to say. "Nice butt." He was immature but it was kind of cute.

**
On Monday I found myself sitting on the other side of Michael during first period. I didn't bother to talk to Luke anymore after he ditched me on Saturday.

"Do you know what the homework was?" Michael leaned close to me. I hesitated to answer, seeing how busy I was looking at Michael's eyes then down at his lips. "Gabriella." He said snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"What?" I blinked a few times.

"I asked you what the homework was." He repeated and leaned back in his seat.

"Oh, um, chapter two and the questions at the back." I answered, looking down at my book and trying to avoid any eye contact. Michael chuckled and I knew that he knew I was starting at him yet again. I would've said my compliment out loud but I wasn't sure how to tell him that I wanted to kiss him. He had to do that on purpose. Class hadn't started yet so there was no reason for him to lean over and whisper to me. "I hate you." I told him. "Okay." He said through a smile.

After first period Michael found me at my locker. "You wanna hang out after school?" I found it very peculiar that he wanted to hang out with me. I mean we practically hated each other.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Um because you get to hang out with me." He replied very nonchalantly. I hated him the most when he got cocky. "Plus I'll take you bowling." I laughed at how cliche bowling was. "It's the best I could think of!" Michael defended his idea.

"I'm sorry Michael but I don't feel like fighting with you today. I'd rather do math." He should've gotten offended because I hated math more than anything.

"C'mon Gabriella." He practically begged. "Please. I promise I won't provoke you in any way." I didn't know why he even wanted to hang out with me. It's not like he likes me.

"If I say yes will you shut up?" I asked and Michael nodded. "I'll see you after school." I closed my locker and walked away from Michael and headed towards my next class.

**
After school I found Michael leaning against his car. "Ready Princess?"

"Don't call me that." I said pushing him aside and getting in the passenger side. I hadn't had the best day leading up to now. This morning my brother spilled apple juice on my computer, during science class my lab partner squirted frog juice at me, and now I was hanging out with Michael. The last one was on my own but still. Michael didn't say anything to me once we were out of the parking lot.

"How was your day?"

"Horrible."

"What happened?" He asked while keeping his eyes on the road.

"I don't want to talk about it." I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Okay." He whispered.

I was glad when we arrived at the bowling alley. That meant the awkward silences shared between Michael and I were over, at least for now.

We got our shoes and picked a lane towards the end. "You want to go first?" Michael asked. I shook my head, looking down at my rented shoes. He walked over and grabbed a ball. I think he meant to bend over because he wanted me to look at his butt. Which I did.

Michael was fairly good at bowling, unlike me. Every time I went up he would laugh at me and say "try for a strike, Princess." Today was not the best day for me to explode on him.

"You want to go out for food after this?" I asked after our session. "Sure." He nodded. "I'm sorry if I acted like a bitch on the way here. I haven't had the best day and I took it out on you." All Michael did was shrug his shoulders. "I'm used to people being rude to me. It's okay, Gabriella."

Michael drove us to Wendy's after bowling. After we ordered and sat down he didn't say much to me, but then again I didn't say much to him. "If any of this has sucked so far you can tell me." Michael said quietly.

"No it didn't. I've had a lot of fun." It wasn't a lie, yet it wasn't the truth. I wasn't great at bowling, which made it suck a little, but I actually enjoyed Michael's company today. Sure I thought I was going to hate spending time with him, once he opened up and didn't act like such a jackass.

My reply made him smile. "Good. I had fun too, you know, watching you fail at bowling."

"Shut up not everyone can be as good as you." I laughed and flicked a fry at him.

"I know I'm pretty great." I rolled my eyes at how cocky he could be.

Wendy's was the last item on our schedule so Michael took me home. "Thanks Michael I had a lot of fun." I thanked, which made him smile. "I guess you're not as annoying as I thought you were."

"You thought I was annoying?" He looked offended. I shrugged not knowing what to say next. "It's fine I thought you were annoying too, Princess."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Michael." I said about to get out of his car.

"Wait!" He said grabbing my hand. When he touched my hand it sent sparks through my arm, just by a little touch that lasted two seconds. "Don't forget your bag is in my trunk."

***
AUTHORS NOTE:

I kinds liked this chapter and I feel pretty good about it. Comment and vote ily have a nice day.