17

[][][][][]

Chris got a letter from school for not attending classes for two weeks straight and he wasn't proud of it. But he couldn't care less. He hardly sleeps nowadays because every time he closes his eyes, flashes of that dreadful afternoon haunt him and every time he is awake, every place he's at holds bad memories, reminding him about what happened to him there. 

He hardly drank water, much less eat. He could feel his ribs against his skin when he breathes. He could feel his pulse running at a slower pace than normal. But he didn't care. He worked. He just worked more and more.

Chris wants some kind of string holding him in place, a string attached to the human world. He really wants to be happy, at least possess a happy facade. But there is something inside him that screams, 'You don't deserve it. You don't deserve to be happy. You don't even deserve to act happy.' That's what everyone says to him at school, right? That's what his dad says. That he doesn't deserve friends. That he doesn't deserve care. Love and affection.

The door of the bookstore opened, the bells jingled cheerfully, unlike him, signalling a customer. He stood up and went to greet who ever came and show them to what they want when he saw her. That girl who stopped coming for the past few days. The girl who sent those texts. She entered with her eyes completely focused on Chris and Chris didn't like it. He just turned around to walk away when the girl shouted, "Wait!" and she jogged up to him as he turned to face her, his eyes focused on the floor.

"I wanna take you somewhere." She said and Chris looked up at the new girl in shock. Chris knows she's new to town since he's been living in it his whole life. He looked at her brown eyes and saw something in them he couldn't quite decipher. The girl jogged to the owner and asked him something before he nodded and gave Chris permission to leave. But Chris didn't move. He couldn't move. He was still shocked that somebody was actually talking to him and offered him, no, ordered him to come with them. He doesn't even know the girls name for crying out loud!

When the girl noticed that Chris wasn't following her, she held his arm carefully, not to hurt his injured wrists. Chris flinched at her touch and she looked up with apologetic eyes and just prayed for him to follow her. Chris didn't know what to do, so he followed silently, still staring at the floor in confusion.

The girl led him to her car and opened the passenger door before she went to the driver's side and got in. Chris just stood in shock, staring after her before getting in. He didn't know how to react. He felt so different right now. He doesn't know who she is, but she cared enough to bring a first-aid box with her which she quickly opened and looked at him.

"Show me your wrists." She said in an authoritative tone and Chris just pulled his sleeves down to cover his cut arms. "Show me your wrists Chris." She sighed and for the first time, Chris noticed that she knew his name. She actually cared to come and tend to his wounds. So he just showed her his arms. She pulled up his sleeves on both hands till they rested on his elbow and gently traced his scars and fresh cuts with her smooth fingers. Chris heard her sniff and looked up in shock, yet again, to notice her smiling with slightly glistening eyes. 'Who is she?' He thought, 'What is her name? What is going on in her head now?' he wanted to know the answers to those questions but kept quiet. Like he usually does.

But this quietness felt nice. Being quiet right now, was not painful but peaceful. So Chris remained quiet, liking it for the first time.

[][][][][]