Epilogue 1

Eight months later

Chris stared at the photo of his new school that was printed on the map he got himself. It was just like his old one, just with a different name and the building was painted in a different color.

Moving to a new town with Lara and Leah wasn't in his list of things to do for senior year, but he's somehow glad that he moved. It means a new start. A new beginning and Chris is all up for it.

Living with Lara and her daughter Leah was helpful. He found his mother in Lara and Leah, though she felt a little uncomfortable to adjust with Chris who suddenly entered her life, soon started to open up to him and now, never leaves Chris's side other than when she has to go to school.

And Chris found his family. He was happy with what he had.

Except, there's still something his heart aches for.

Kaya.

Chris has accepted her death, but still hasn't recovered from it. Being someone who loses the people he loves, it wasn't easy for him to cope, but with Lara and Leah as a distraction, he was fine. He was doing well.

But there are times when Chris feels so lonely, craving to say Kaya a final goodbye. There are nights when he gets nightmares, reliving that night when his father shot her. But he can't do anything about it.

But one thing has changed in him.

Chris became emotionally more stable and stronger.

He's stronger than before and that's more than what he could ask for.

Lara helped him in all the ways she can. She took him to amusement parks, to movies and they went on road trips. 'It's good for Leah to experience stuff.' She says but Chris knows that Lara wanted Chris to be happy. To experience joy. To forget about Kaya and his past.

Of course he can't forget Kaya, but he's left his past behind.

It's just a stupid nightmare and he's forgotten it.

'There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind' Chris keeps repeating to himself. And just like that, he moved forward.

And as soon as she got an offer to transfer, Lara jumped at the opportunity and took it and ordered Chris to pack a bag, though Chris was not completely fine with moving, he reluctantly followed. But soon, he realized that it was for the best.

The town was bigger than his previous one, their new house was huge and his school was a private one. Lara insisted that the education was good and that they can afford a private school for both Chris and Leah.

But he insisted on finding a part time job and Lara agreed. 'If that makes you happy, go ahead.' She says for each and every thing, a smile permanently plastered on her face where Chris and Leah are involved.

This was all new for Chris. The happiness that radiated from Lara, the chirpiness and naughtiness that radiated from Leah, the goodness he was surrounded with, it was something Chris needed to adjust to. But it felt nice and Chris was happy.

And even after working for hours at the station, Lara still manages to bake cakes and delicacies for both her kids. Chris sometimes just tears up at how nice she is and that night would be an emotional one where Leah usually ends up hugging her brother for hours.

Chris put the school map down and sprawled across his bed, staring at the ceiling. He stared at his watch for the time, 12:30pm , and his gaze immediately fell to his fading scars. His father was rotting in jail, pleading to be let out. Rick and his friends have all apologized to Chris and though it didn't make anything better, Chris was a little relieved.

"Do you want muffins Chris? Mom made them. They are yummy." He was interrupted by Leah, who's voice was muffled because of the brown muffin she was stuffing in her mouth. She was standing in the doorway and Chris grinned at her before quickly crossing the room towards her and scooping her up. Leah giggled and Chris just put her on his shoulder.

"Sure, let's go get 'em." He said before securely holding Leah and walking down the stairs.

Lara was in the kitchen, singing some Usher and taking out the second round of muffins from the oven.

"You should stop carrying her." Lara pointed out at Leah who was sitting on Chris's shoulder, ruffling his hair. "She's ten years old Chris, not ten months." She sighed, shaking her head. "When we went to the fair yesterday, she asked me to carry her when you went to the washroom." And Chris chuckled and looked up at Leah before putting her down and tickling her in the stomach.

"She's still a small kid Lara. Just ten." He said and continued tickling her and Lara just shook her head before shifting her attention to her muffins.

"And also, make sure she doesn't cry when you both have to part ways to go to school tomorrow. Looking at you both, I'm starting to miss my brother." Lara said, not looking at them but Chris could tell she was smiling, happy to see how affectionate Chris and Leah are with each other.

Soon, after having a satisfying dinner with hot and chocolatey muffins as desert, Chris went back to his room after putting Leah to sleep. Well, he adores her and looking at Leah reminds Chris of his own childhood, which he couldn't enjoy. 

As he entered his dark, silent room, he switched on the light and closed his door. He looked around and stopped when his gaze fell on the last carton box that need to be unpacked.

It's been two weeks since they shifted, but Chris spent most of his time exploring the new town with Leah instead of packing so he decided to unpack the box before going to school tomorrow.

No, he wasn't nervous. In fact, he was excited to start his senior year. To start new.

As he unpacked the box, he noticed that it had a few of his pants in it with some stationary. How they got mixed, Chris doesn't know.

In between arranging them, a phone caught his attention. Kaya's phone.

After her funeral, Kaya's orphanage keeper had given him Kaya's phone, but no matter how many times he tried, Chris couldn't open it. The password was an eight character one and he tried typing everything related to Kaya, but the phone didn't open.

He put the phone aside and then a picture caught Chris's attention.

Obviously it had to be his only picture. And his only picture with Kaya.

It was a picture they took in the fair, on the night she died. Chris printed it out from his phone a month later.

Kaya had her arm around Chris's shoulder and her smile was so big, there was a small dimple on her right cheek. Chris just gazed at his phone, which was held by some stranger, with a smile.

Under the photo, there was a message he wrote. Something Kaya said. Something she promised.

'I may not always be there with you, but I will always be there for you.'

And though she's not there with him right now, Kaya kept her promise.

Every time Chris does something, Kaya is always there beside him, looking at him with a smile. A proud smile.

She's always in his heart.

***