19

[][][][][]

She took him to a small, yet warm looking house. It was made of wood and has its own small farm in the front. Kaya looked at the house and then at Chris, smiling. Chris didn't know what to make of it. It was just an ordinary house with a homely surrounding, situated on the outskirts of the neighbouring town. 'Why did she bring me here?' Chris thought to himself.

"You must be wondering why I bought you here." Kaya said like she could read his thoughts. She was a little shorter than him. Just by three or four inches and he didn't have to look too down when he had to glance at her. 

"This is..." She trailed on as she looked at the house. Like it hurt to talk about it. "This is a place close to my heart." She finally said with a smile he's growing jealous of. Chris looked back at the house, still not understanding why he was here.

"There are a lot of people who give up Chris." She started, sitting on a large rock nearby and Chris remained standing, looking her as she went deep into thought. "They give up on their loved ones, family, friends, they lose hope and soon, they give up on life." And Chris knew where this conversation was going. 

He didn't want to discuss anything about his personal life with a random teenage girl who took it upon herself to decide to stop him from suicide. It wasn't her decision to make. She doesn't know how much he's suffering just for taking another breath. Chris is struggling to decide if another minute of living is worth or not. She doesn't know what he's actually going through.

"But, there is always something constant in them. Sadness. Sadness is replaceable Chris. It can be replaced by joy, happiness. You just have to know how to replace it." She stared at him like she could figure him out just by one look. And he felt uncomfortable. "This house over here, gathers all the children who suffer to stay alive, who fight themselves every day and when the kids interact with each other, they finally find themselves. They find their family. They find their love. They find hope and most of all, they find happiness." She said and Chris looked at the small house. And suddenly, he got angry.

"Are you telling me to come her-"

"No," Kaya cut him off, shaking her head with a smile plastered on her face. 'Why is she always smiling?' Chris thought. 

"No, I'm not telling you to come here, I'm just trying to say that I know what you are going through. I lived here Chris. I lived in this house for four years, it's become my home." She said and Chris shrunk in shame. He was too early to judge. 

"I might not have gone through how much you have. I don't even know what you're going through. But all I know is that you've lost hope on living and I want to help you. I want to show you how beautiful life can be Chris." And Chris could have cried then. Here she is. She knew nothing about him. Absolutely nothing. And she wants to help him.

No one was kind enough to ask Chris if he was fine. If he had eaten anything. Not his father. Not his neighbor. Not his teacher. Yet here she is, Kaya, sitting in front of him with determination in her eyes, ready to show him the beauty of life.

So he decided to give her a chance.

He decided to let her show him what to live for.

What not to die for.

[][][][][]