25

Jake and I looked at each other in shocked not knowing what to do. For second I believed someone truly was inside the house as you could hear their footsteps creeping closer to the living room. Everything was silent except for a single breath. I closed my eyes and thought the many outcomes of hearing footsteps and I looked over to Jake who looked even more concerned then I did. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up and off the couch and we starting to crouch behind the staircase. After a while I heard someone say, "Mels are you down here?" Let out a big sigh of relief as I realized that it was my dad. As I heard my dad coming closer, I realized that Jake was here with me and I would be dead the minute one of parents found out that I brought a boy over in the middle of the night. I turned to Jake and gave him a sign to stay there and lay low. Then I walked out into the clearing where I saw my dad there. "Yeah, I'm right here." He looked at me with a frown, holding a half lit cigar. He calmly placed the cigar in his mouth inhaling it and then loosely exhaling it into the ceiling. "I thought I heard a knock a minute ago. Is someone outside?" he asked getting more curious. My eyes became wide and my heart felt like it was going to stop as my dad got closer to me and almost at the point of looking just one turn to the left and seeing Jake in his view. "No, don't worry it was the tv, I was watching a scary movie." pointing over to the tv that was now off. He looked over to the tv and looked back to me and nodded. He smiled and and said, "As long as you're okay. You know there's word of these animal attacks going around town and I don't know what I would do if you were ever hurt." he said placing a hand on my shoulder. I went over with my hand touching his, assuring him that nothing would ever happen to me.
He turned over once more to the tv before heading back into the office.