Life and Death

I felt so in the zone, Lexie and I walked up the secret way to the roof and appeared behind mom. She didn't even turn and said. "Nice back up kid." I nodded and Lexie went full on guard. She searched the area silently and Mom turned smiling at us. "So, are we gonna talk or what?" I asked impatient. If the info was wrong I just wanted this prank over with, if it's true I'm gonna need every single member on my team. She didn't even have to look hard and said. "Camera, mic, recording device, and tracker? Nice." She gave me a thumbs up and I didn't even bother wonder how she knew. I shuddered at the memory from before.

~~~

Mel frowned and shoved the little M&M at me. "Just swallow it already!" She growled in frustration. I shook my head and covered my mouth. "I ain't eating anything with a tracker!" She looked beyond done. "Then how are we supposed to track you?!" Isn't it obvious. "Uh, just plant them in my clothes or whatever!" She sighed in defeat. "Fine but if we get a call from Lexie saying she took you and we can't find you don't blame me!" Ash stiffened and I sighed. I quickly took the M&M from her hand and ate it. Mel looked shocked and I frowned. "Fine, but only to fine me! Nothing else!" Ash looked surprised and then frowned. "You didn't have to you know-" I cut her off. "Nope, I'm not putting you through that again, never. I refuse!" Lexie glushed. "Awe, Kana loves us!" I hissed at her. "It's for Ash you stupid Brit!"

~~~

Turns out tracker M&M's don't taste as good as the original ones. What a surprise. Mom stepped forward and Lexie stepped forwards, I put my hand and stopped her. Mom stroked my cheek and smiled. "I'm glad you came, started to think you bailed on me." I scoffed. "Me? Back down from finding out everything I've always wondered? Don't think so." She looked pained when I said that. She awkwardly shuffled her feet and messed with her sweater. Soft cream colored wool, under she had a white shirt and her black jeans were ripped at the knees. Brown fuzzy boots were on her feet. I grumbled and moved my jacket to a more comfortable spot and scratched my itchy scar.

Suddenly I felt a hand on mine, mom held my hand before I could scratch again. She took a step back but her eyes lingered on my scar. She took us to the coop and there was her own squad. I felt my jaw drop along with Lexie who's spy mode failed at the sight of these people. Cammie and Zach were there, with Bex, Liz, Cammie's mom, and some old people. Lexie managed to spout out a few names. "Mom? Gran, Granddad?" Okay so what the hell is going on. I felt something in me snap and I got defensive. "What's going on?" My voice asked sharp as a whip and unafraid. Cammie came up to me and explained it all.

Katherine was my mom, we got the whole explanation. Cammie and Zach realized it was me when we first met, said I resembled my mom so much it was impossible for it not to be real. When I slept and drooled in my sleep they got my DNA and tested me with mom who was in hiding thanks to dad who's dead. We were related, they did more tests, they even went to Liz, we were related, I was her daughter, she was my mother. Mom had to make herself a fake file of what she looked like so no one could recognize her. She was teaching here before as Ms. Brown but had to go back into hiding when men from Dad's old joint were popping up like daises out of the snow. Then when I came up again mom was the first to know.

Excited and willing to take the risk she came back out of hiding, ignoring all caution, and came to school as her real self. Ms. Katherine Corduroy. Mom then told my story. Apparently I'm 16 not 15. I'm older than Ash, Lexie, Mel, Bree, and everyone else in my grade. I was shocked. "No way!" I said feeling all this info crashing into my mind like the Titanic. "I clearly remember being abandoned at 2!" Lexie put a hand on my shoulder and Ash flinched. Mel just looked confused. We all sat in Cammie's office. Mom looked scared out of her wits, every adult did. She shook her head slowly, then faster, and faster, suddenly she let out a frustrated and angry yelled and punched the wall. "That bastard!"