21. Scream

I took the girls inside the room once I debugged it and died in a cloud of dust. Ash and Mel marveled at the small place.

"When did you?"

"When I was practicing on the roof, I came down and made a wrong turn and found this neat place. Cool am I right?" They nodded. Mel walked over to the boxes on top of the piano. She looked at me as if asking if I had looked through them. I shook my head and she cautiously tried to pick one but she was too short to reach it so I came over and gave her a hand. Ash got one too so I followed their lead. We all had our own box and we sat down on the stone floor.

Mel opened up her's and it was full of random parts, we saw wires and metal pieces I didn't understand but Mel looked super excited. She dug through the box a bit more and pulled out a strange fully done device. It looked like a box but it obviously didn't open up like one. We sat closer to her and suddenly it blinked to life when I touched it. It opened up automatically and beeped something none of us understood.

It revealed a book, like the one Momma gave me but it wasn't as dusty and ripped by the corners. Sure this one looked old but not super old. Ash and Mel didn't want to grab it so I did it. Once I got the book out it beeped once more before closing and turning back into a box. We blinked and I turned the book over in my hands and on the back, it had the words in Momma's messy writing:

Katherine C.

I didn't know if I should read it but curiosity got the better of me. I opened it and I let my hands brush the paper. The date was a year before the other book. This time it wasn't half finished. It was filled to the last page and she wrote a bit on the inside of the cover on the back since she ran out room. I didn't dare read it. Instead, I turned my attention back to the box. I felt on every side till I tapped the top and it opened up making the same series of beeps as when I first opened it. It popped open like before and I paced the book in.

It must have felt the book or something because it closed up again. I looked over at Ash and Mel who looked about as confused as I felt. They shrugged at me when I raised a brow.

"Well guys, like it's been 8 minutes and we've already found a new mystery." Mel and Ash looked at each other super psyched to have a new mystery. Mel whipped out a very fancy looking(what is that) pen thingy and suddenly with one click on the top, it turned into a phone looking thingy. She tapped up here and there and did this random series of numbers(28 numbers) and it unlocked. She then went to this app and Lex and Ash's faces were there next to a series of numbers(47 numbers each).

Mel clicked on Lexie's face and punched in a new sires of numbers(47). Suddenly she was taken to chat and wrote what just happened exactly in a text. Well it was more of an essay but suddenly this little icon popped up with an exact time saying:

Read by Lexington

I raised a brow.

"Lexington?" Mel shrugged. "It wouldn't except Lexie or Lex so we changed her name to Lexington." I laughed. Gods above that's hilarious. "I'm so going to call her that from now on!" Ash rolled her eyes and sighed. She turned back to the box in her hands as Lexington texted us back.

You guys seriously couldn't wait till I was at least on the plain to tell me this?

I looked at her message. "Wait why the plane?" Mel sighed.

"Lexie's been dying for a chance to jump out of an airplane like in the movies." I nodded. That's a good one, maybe I'll try it if I ever get on an airplane. Ash didn't even look at me as she opened the box and said. "If you dare try that I will not hug you for five minutes straight. I will have Mel and Lexie lock me up on the roof if they have to."