Chapter XII - The Succeeding Days

Hours after sleeping, Rem felt the urged to urinate. He then went outside and surprisingly, no one was around. As he walked to the bathroom, he can't help but be curious about the things in the places not intended for them.

After responding to the call of nature, he went straight to the dining area and into the kitchen. He tried the knob to the cooking area. He got excited when he found out it was not locked. He was amazed by the state-of-the-art cooking machines and utensils in the place. When he opened the refrigerator, he got more excited with the tons of raw materials. There were vegetables, herbs, and fruits. He picked and ate a banana.

He then went outside.

Unfortunately, the exit of the dome was closed. But, there are some holes where he can peek through. He was again amazed by the wide field that was obviously seen with the help of the bright moon.

Rem was disturbed by a creaking sound probably created by the opening of the door. Since the sound echoed all over the dome, he knew some of the security personnel will go outside. So, he just aligned himself to the wall and walked sideways until he reached the house. He walked straight the bathroom so no one will suspect.

Before he entered the bathroom, someone gave him an arm choke while covering his mouth. Rem can't do something. The man behind him was quite stronger and taller to a point that he was being lifted. When he can't breathe anymore, the grab loosened and then he was dropped.

When Rem looked... it was Randolph and laughing while his pointing finger on his lips asking him to be quiet.

"Damn you, Randolph! Why did you do that?" Rem said in a silent but angry manner. "You almost gave a heart attack."

"What are you doing?" asked Randolph. "Did your escorts tell you that we shouldn't be lurking around at night?"

"Just wanted to see things... I'm just curious."

"I've been watching you for a couple of minutes already," Randolph said making Rem's eye pop out. "You're obviously mesmerized by the scene outside... It's called the field. You will just run and run and run over there."

"Come on let's go to the bathroom. When they see us here, we're dead," Randolph noted.

*****

"Why is it illegal to walk around?" asked Rem while both of them are facing the urinals.

"Only at night," Randolph said. "After the training, if you wanted to take a peek outside, you can. Just ask your escorts and they'll allow you. You can also enter the kitchen, the dorm, anywhere as long as there's no training... But at night, it's prohibited."

"You've been watching me while I'm in the kitchen?"

"Yeah, I just hid behind the bar when you are about to get out of the kitchen. I just allowed you to walk around as I know that our guards are sleeping in the living room and they are like sloths every night. So, I know no one will catch you," Randolph said while they were walking outside the comfort room and to the dorm.

Rem laughed thriftily.

"Don't do it again Rem. Stemper will be really mad. We should be disciplined... they said."

"You made that creaking sound?"

"Yeah! I just used a spoon and slid it along with the door to catch your attention. You're like a little child in a carnival."

The two then reached the dorm. Randolph gave Rem a slight arm hit on his shoulder and told him that he should be resting as the next day training will be more tiring and draining.