Chapter XXXII - The Vow

"Hey, wait a minute," Rem said as if he's trying to clarify something. "What is that game? It was mentioned that we are the representative for this year's game."

"We'll explain it to you later," said Vincent. "As of now, you and Marybeth must take a rest. I know the party is quite stressful."

Rem indeed was tired. So, he just kept quiet.

When the group reached the 42nd floor, Rem informed his group that he will go directly to his room to sleep. Inside, he removed his clothes and went to the shower room. There, he can't help but think about the "game". He thought that he and Marybeth will fight other teams in a certain ring and must survive. From those thoughts, he immediately became sad. He continued thinking about it on his bed.

"Carklein, can I have some sleeping pills? I want those organic," said Rem.

"Would that be all, Mr. Burrows?" The machine replied.

"Yes."

"Right away sir."

A few minutes after, Jimmy knocked and gave him the pills. Rem immediately took them.

*****

Rem woke up by his shaking bed.

"Mr. Burrows, I'm so sorry for that," said Carklein. "But, I've been trying to wake you up for a few minutes now. Breakfast is about to be served."

Rem looked at the clock and it's almost 7 a.m. He was surprised that he's been sleeping for 12 hours already. However, he still wanted some more sleep. So, he closed his eyes.

"Mr. Burrows, I'm sorry to disturb you gain, but I think you should start taking a bath now. You and Ms. Anderson will have a full-blasted schedule for today," said Carklein.

Rem forced himself to the bathroom o take a bath. Outside his room, he saw Marybeth and the rest already seated at the dining table. She was smiling at him that gave him a little boost. He smiled back and confidently walked towards them.

"Goodmorning Burrows," said Vincent. "We've been waiting for you here. Have a seat."

Rem saw the dining table and again, the served foods in front of them were extravagant. There were only five of them on the table but the foods can serve a dozen. He made a cup of coffee and took some bread.

"Not in the mood?" said an energetic Marybeth. She was eating pancakes with fresh berries.

Rem mildly nodded.

"Mr. Vincent told me that we will be briefed with our vow today," said Marybeth like a girl promised of a pair of new shoes. "Isn't that exciting?"

Rem faked a smile.

"Burrows, is everything alright?" asked Vincent.

"I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed," Rem replied while spreading marmalade on his bread. But, deep inside him, he is nervous about "that game" Heitzberg said yesterday.

Marybeth used to ask some hints from Vincent, talking about their vow. Rem, on the other hand, was just listening to them. He wanted to scream and run away. But, he can't.

After finishing their breakfast, the five stayed in the living room for a couple of minutes until Vincent received a phone call. Minutes later, the bellman entered and handed Vincent an LCD projector, a laptop and a couple of CDs. Dricks and Jimmy helped in setting the presentation. Marybeth looked thrilled while Rem was a little stressed out. Vincent stood in front of them and cleared his throat.

"My dear young warriors, the time has come. I will now present to you your vow," said Vincent and it looked like he was proud. He then started a cartooned presentation.