Chapter XV - She Got It

The next morning, Rem and his male buddies immediately went to their morning routines with full of laughter. However, during the breakfast, he once again became bothered with the determined looks on Marybeth. He used to stare at her. But, Randolph who was on the other side of the table threw him a strip of carrot and gave him an eye-popping facial expression that reminded him of what they talked last night.

Rem smiled at Randolph and kept on eating. He felt relaxed about his plans for today and it is to guide Marybeth. While walking to their spot for their morning exercise, he walked along with her.

"Amazing day, isn't it?" said Rem.

"Huh?" replied Marybeth showing a confused look.

"I mean, it's another great day, I think. Someday, I'll become a great Arkiman. Just sharing my thoughts," Rem said in an attempt to energize her.

"Ok. As you said, me too," Marybeth replied with a poker face.

As both of them did the stretching exercises, he used to take a glimpse at her and when she subconsciously look at him, he will smile. Before they perform the exercise Rem called her attention.

"Psst," Rem made. "Good luck."

Marybeth smiled but with confused looks.

After lunch, Rem and Marybeth were asked to change into their protective suit before meeting their corresponding trainers for the defense shooting. He rushed to change and waited outside the women's locker room.

"Hey, good luck over there," said Rem while raising his fist. "'One thousand' is equal to a second, just to give you an idea when the interval of knives per machine."

"Alright. Got it," Marybeth replied. "Thank you. As we spent time here, you use to become nicer."

The two walked and before they separated, he waited for her to give him a look. He was never disappointed, she gave him a glimpse prompting him to give her a nod and a thumb up. She replied also with a thumb up.

*****

Rem was asked to prepare for defense shooting. Jonathan noted that the number of machines to be activated was still the same. However, he must have to go on his own. He also noted him that he should be careful and stay focus despite no more rewards waiting.

Rem breathed deeply and walked carefully while his attention was on one of the machines thinking that it had an activated sensor. He was wrong. He then moved on with another and it blew a knife, but he was well prepared and able to dodge it. He hit back deactivating it.

He continued with his process of carefully walking towards each and every machine so he won't activate many machines at the same time. He had activated three machines at once and in one instance got hit, but able to find shelters in one of the boulders. Then, one by one, he hit them until it was down to one last machine.

Watching from afar, Jonathan was once again impressed.

When it was down to the last machine, Rem dodged the first blow and counted to estimate the next one. Right before he finished "one thousand five," he flipped his body to the other side and have successfully avoided it. He repeated it several times and he was enjoying it.

"Burrows stop fooling around," Jonathan shouted.

Rem smiled and threw a knife at the machine that deactivated it. Then, the alarm went off. Smiling, he walked towards his mentor who met him half way.

"Fantastic Burrows," said Jonathan giving Rem an arm lock. "I know you are tired so let's go back to the dome."

While walking, Rem can't help but smile because of what he was able to achieve something. He went directly to the dining room to drink water, and then to the locker room where he lay on one the benches there. After a few minutes, he took a bath and rushed to the living room thinking Marybeth was already waiting for him.